Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tersa Sphinx caterpillar ?

Posted by mary_littlerockar 7b Central Arkansas (mleek@sbcglobal.net) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 11:59

Look what I discovered munching on my Pentas this morning.

I 'think' it is an early instar of the Tersa Sphinx.

~Mary

What a cute little face and what a little pig. He's eaten maybe a fourth of the leaves already!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tersa Sphinx caterpillar ?

It sure is! Green phase. Xylophanes tersa!

o

Those are beautiful pictures, Mary - you've gotten to be quite the photographer!!
You may have answered this before, but what kind of camera did you use to make these pictures?
Sherry

o

Thank you Sherry. Isn't that little face priceless! So much so that I forgive the little guy for defoliating my Pentas.

The camera I used for these shots is the little Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3, which is an older model. I 'think' the current model is Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5. These are straight out of the camera, except I cropped the one with the little face, as I caught the tail of my gown in that shot! Ha

~Mary

o

They are so unique looking! I had one last year on my red pentas - have been looking for them this year but no luck so far. Enjoy the critters in your garden!

o

These adorable little caterpillars pull their heads right into their throraxes. The one larger eyespot just makes them look so much like one of those "big head" pet photos. Soooo cute!!!!

o

Great pics Mary! Caterpillars certainly are weird and interesting, aren't they.

There's been a lot of moth threads lately, maybe the name of this forum should be changed to the "Lepidoptera forum", not the "Butterfly" forum (can you imagine people scanning the list of forums and wondering what the heck are Lepi-what??)

Mary, I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 and love it. The LX is a little better model, I think.

o

I just saw pictures of these cats. I WANT SOME!! I'll have to put in some hostplants next year and keep my fingers crossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here