Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_nj6

Sigh, alll this milkweed and no monarchs

tracey_nj6
10 years ago

This has been a horrible year in my yard. Saw one monarch back in June, ONE, and haven't seen one since. The common milkweed population has exploded in my yard, and I decided against yanking it out, even though I could've easily had more than enough anyway. I did find one egg about a month ago, but apparently is was a dud.

And last year I vowed to not raise Black Swallowtails due to the high amount of parasites and lost chrysalids encountered, I purchased 2 flats of parsley and have 5 new chrysalids and quite a few caterpillars in various stages in the cage. I only hope those damn parasites don't emerge.

Thanks for letting me vent. DH just doesn't understand and/or care about my ramblings.

Comments (10)

• TreeRoots
    10 years ago

I know how you feel... I have several varieties of milkweed and have never seen a monarch in my own yard. I have seen a lot of Tigers, though, and apparently I got some Spicebush Swallowtails, because I have babies all over my shrubs. I'm almost tempted to just buy some monarchs off of the Monarch Watch site... It can't hurt, right?

I bought three parsley plants just recently and saw babies all over them. I'll cross my fingers for you if you do the same for me! ;)

• floridafrass
    10 years ago

This has been a great summer for monarchs in Central Florida. I have been averaging 5 to 6 at any given time in my garden for weeks now. Not like this in past years. I think the heat is starting to get to them now though, as the eggs are not hatching, or if they do the cats do not seem to thrive. Also some OE I think. The Monarchs we still do have seem to be slowly aging, so all may be starting to slow down. Maybe things will shift your way!

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Tracey, I do feel your pain and I clearly understand your words and feelings. I am hoping that more Monarchs will turn up for people during the next couple of months. I had one female here in July, and that is all that I have seen. I have never had disease issues with the Black SWT's. Good luck on raising your current batch of them.
    Angie

• caterwallin
    10 years ago

Tracey, I'm pretty much in the same boat. In all of the years that I've been butterfly gardening since 2005, this is the first year that I haven't seen a single Monarch here in our yard. I have plenty of milkweed and am starting to wonder if the plants will even host any cats this year. I know the year's not over yet, but it sure isn't looking very good at this point. I've always had Monarchs before August, usually in June.
    Cathy

• viceroy_lopez
    10 years ago

We have been doing well, but not where we should be. Here is a sad article about the subject.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/why-monarch-butterflies-numbers-are-in-freefall/article13542707/

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Chins up
    Every Monarch we put into the world is a Monarch in the right direction, every milkweed we plant is equally important and everyone we educate and hopefully "hook" is tantamount to the Monarch's survival.
    The more of us there are in the world, the more Monarchs there will be as well. I've seen sadder numbers rebound, such as the Atala Butterfly and the Bald Eagle.
    Numbers look grim right now, but it's not too late. America's backyard is the new "wilderness".
    Plant, plant. plant
    And
    Raise, raise, raise.
    And whatever we do, let's not give up.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I feel the same way you do about my pipevines. Pipevine swallowtails are my favorite butterfly, and I haven't raised a single one this year. You should see all the pipevine I've got - I could feed armies!

I'd love to have monarchs, too, but I'm not used to getting a lot of them. Last year I raised two batches, and that was as many as I've ever raised in one year. And my milkweed is goin' beggin', too! :(

Sherry

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Just saw another female Monarch, quite possibly one of "mine"
    basking in the morning sun, looking brand new and gorgeous:-)
    Hoping I get one more generation...

• terrene
    10 years ago

Ditto here. Lots of fabulous milkweed and no Monarchs. :(

In the past 5 years since I start raising Monarchs, there was one year that I didn't get any breeding activity - 2009, which was very wet and cool.

2 years ago, I saw the first female in the garden in mid-August. I am hoping that one will meander its way here and dump a bunch of eggs, but it's not looking good.

With reports of such low numbers in their eastern North American range, I am quite worried.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I have 21 chrysalis that should start to emerge this week. I'm hoping for mostly females, as long as they can find mates, so they can lay lots more eggs. Hopefully I'll get some eggs laid where I can collect them and bring them in. Should I try to hang onto females in hopes of luring males my way and having them mate in captivity? I should get a butterfly net so I can nab the guys if they show up.

Martha