Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Pearl Crescent

bob_71
12 years ago

For some reason, most Pearl Crescents are worn and ragged when I see them in my yard. This week I had a fresh specimen visit and it ended up on my Black-Eyed Susan.

Bob

{{gwi:523999}}

{{gwi:524003}}

Comments (12)

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Love the photos!

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

More beautiful pictures by Bob!
    I love those pearl crescents!
    Sherry

• caterwallin
    12 years ago

Very pretty, Bob! Rudbeckia/Black-eyed Susan is the plant that I see them nectaring on the most, and I see that they like yours too.
    Cathy

• bob_71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all three of you for your kind comments!

Bob

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I just love pearl crescents! Their colors are so intricate and fascinating, including the undersides. One day I hope to raise some, but, I've never found any cats.
    Here's two pictures I took of a pearl crescent that wouldn't leave this coneflower -
    {{gwi:476131}}
    {{gwi:476132}}
    Sherry

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

After complaining about so little activity in the garden, I went outside and discovered I had one visit my basil today...
    {{gwi:524008}}

{{gwi:524011}}
    ~Laura

• Ament
    12 years ago

I love the pictures guys, one question though. How do I link images like that so folks don't have to click a link? lol Feel silly having to ask that. But I have a picture of a moth I took a few yrs ago I want to share, to find out what it was. :) And it's easier to post the image so everyone can see it, versus a link that everyone has to click.

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

I just recently learned myself...

I have mine uploaded to www.photobucket.com and then once you upload the pictures, there is an html code that appears in a drop down menu when you place your cursor over your picture. All you have to do is copy and paste that html code into your butterfly forums message and Wa-La! Picture!

~Laura

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thanks Laura, I'll have to try that next time I get a picture, or I can try with a moth I have a picture of. We were on a trip to texas and in one of the stops we came out to find this moth on the windshield. :)
    {{gwi:524014}}

• jrcagle
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures, guys.

The Pearl has a summer form (seen in all the pics above) and a spring form that is more heavily marked.

Here's a pic from Montgomery Co, TX 6/11/2007:

Pearl Crescent, spring form (Phyciodes tharos)
    {{gwi:524017}}

To add to the fun, there is a Mimic Pearl Crescent, recently described: larger, and males have orange on the underside of the antennal club. I've suspected a couple of individuals in the yard of being Mimics, but I have no proof.

Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: Mimic Crescent

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

That's so interesting, Jeff!
    Periodically, I see a PC that looks a little different, but I just figure it's a normal variation or something.
    Do you think this one might be a mimic?
    {{gwi:446354}}
    Sherry

• jrcagle
    12 years ago

No clear idea.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?