Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pearl Crescent

Posted by bob_71 z7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 12:09

For some reason, most Pearl Crescents are worn and ragged when I see them in my yard. This week I had a fresh specimen visit and it ended up on my Black-Eyed Susan.

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pearl Crescent

Love the photos!

o

More beautiful pictures by Bob!
I love those pearl crescents!
Sherry

o

Very pretty, Bob! Rudbeckia/Black-eyed Susan is the plant that I see them nectaring on the most, and I see that they like yours too.
Cathy

o

Thanks to all three of you for your kind comments!

Bob

o

I just love pearl crescents! Their colors are so intricate and fascinating, including the undersides. One day I hope to raise some, but, I've never found any cats.
Here's two pictures I took of a pearl crescent that wouldn't leave this coneflower -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o

After complaining about so little activity in the garden, I went outside and discovered I had one visit my basil today...
Photobucket

Photobucket
~Laura

o

I love the pictures guys, one question though. How do I link images like that so folks don't have to click a link? lol Feel silly having to ask that. But I have a picture of a moth I took a few yrs ago I want to share, to find out what it was. :) And it's easier to post the image so everyone can see it, versus a link that everyone has to click.

o

I just recently learned myself...

I have mine uploaded to www.photobucket.com and then once you upload the pictures, there is an html code that appears in a drop down menu when you place your cursor over your picture. All you have to do is copy and paste that html code into your butterfly forums message and Wa-La! Picture!

~Laura

o

Thanks Laura, I'll have to try that next time I get a picture, or I can try with a moth I have a picture of. We were on a trip to texas and in one of the stops we came out to find this moth on the windshield. :)
Photobucket

o

Beautiful pictures, guys.

The Pearl has a summer form (seen in all the pics above) and a spring form that is more heavily marked.

Here's a pic from Montgomery Co, TX 6/11/2007:

Pearl Crescent, spring form (Phyciodes tharos)
Photobucket

To add to the fun, there is a Mimic Pearl Crescent, recently described: larger, and males have orange on the underside of the antennal club. I've suspected a couple of individuals in the yard of being Mimics, but I have no proof.

Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: Mimic Crescent

o

That's so interesting, Jeff!
Periodically, I see a PC that looks a little different, but I just figure it's a normal variation or something.
Do you think this one might be a mimic?
Sherry

o

No clear idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here