Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Coenonympha haydenii

butterflymomok
12 years ago

This is one of my favorite photos from my trip to Yellowstone/Beartooth/Grand Tetons. This butterfly was seen on the BTP. It's found in very restricted range, which you can see in Kaufman's Field Guide.

{{gwi:524442}}

Rather than use photobucket, I will be posting most of the butterflies on Pbase. When I have the new photos up and ready, I will post. Until then, this pic is a teaser as to what is to come.

Comments (27)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Wow!
    I don't think I've ever done anything but thumb through the ringlet pages of my field guide, Sandy!
    Since the ringlets follow the pearly-eyes, I guess they'd be most closely related to them - the southern pearly-eye lives here.
    It sure is a cutie!
    'Can't wait to see the others!
    Sherry

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Sandy,
    Great picture... it's nice to see you got some pictures at least and are starting to work on sharing them. C. haydeni is the only member of its complex, hence it has no subspecies, it is the largest of the tribe and has a fairly small range approx centered around the YNP area. Also found on the BTP are C. ochracea ochracea and C. inorata benjamini, both in the tullia complex and both with several subspecies found elsewhere. There are at least 18 sp/ssp of Satyridae in the BTP area.

Sherry,
    Lethe (Enodia) portlandia used to be in the subfamily Lethinae. But I think all of the NA wood nymphs and satyrs are now placed in the subfamily Satyrinae, and within specific tribes. So your portlandia is closer to haydeni than any species from other families, but no closer than any other Satyridae not in the same tribe as haydeni. The only "pearly-eyes" I collecetd and reared in NA was anthedon and appalachia in PA.

My son established the high elevation record for Cercyonis pegala ino on the BTP in 1991 at 10,170' and as far as I know it still stands as the HE for this bug.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

That makes sense, Larry. Coenonympha haydenii/Hayden's ringlet looks more like Hermeuptychia sosybius/Carolina satyr, which is VERY common here, and Megisto cymeia/little wood-satyr, which I usually just see in spring, than Enodia portlandia/southern pearly-eye. The eyespots are more the same.

I got a new, second-hand moth book, The Moth Book A Guide to the Moths of North America by W.J. Holland, published in 1968, and the difference in the scientific names is striking. Like the cecropia moth/Hyalophora cecropia was called Samia cecropia in 1968.

Sherry

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Very nice! We don't get to see that many butterflies outside of the eastern ones. So, it is nice to be reminded that even in the USA there are many other butterflies to be seen.
    -Elisabeth

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Speaking of Carolina satyrs, there have been at least a dozen, probably eighteen, hanging out in my garden lately, staying mostly on the lantana. There have also been a lot of red-banded hairstreaks there, too, but also those iridescent bottle flies are all over it - 'don't get it.
    I got a picture of one of the satyrs this morning -
    {{gwi:524446}}
    Sherry

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sherry,

I love the little Satyrs. My friend John, that keeps all the Oklahoma records, taught me to ID them in the field by the flight pattern. I call it "beebopping" along. Once the flight pattern is recognized, getting close enough to see the spot pattern is a challenge that usually requires a good pair of binoculars.

Here we have the Megisto cymela, Hermeuptychia sosybius, and Cyllopsis gemma. I have had Cercyonis pergalas in my garden, and encounter Enodia anthedon and portlandia in local wooded areas.

This hasn't been the best year for satyrs here. I'm hoping to get out in the field next spring and photograph a Megisto rubricata. They are found in southwest Oklahoma in the Wichita Mtns. One day, hopefully, (and with the help of my Oklahoma lep friends) I will have seen all the species of leps that occur in my state.

Sandy

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Sherry, while appearance is a minor factor, many far more reliable and consistent taxa is normally what places a bug in its taxonomic place. New discoveries proven from advanced research of those taxa has a lot to do with why leps are reassigned taxonomy. Might be as simple as a new species or subspecies change, might be a change to another or even a new genus, and sometimes a change in the higher classifications. New research can also remove part of a current status, like subspecies or form and lump them in at a higher level. Biggest problem with taxonomy, besides most folks not being able to pronounce them or understand the root of them, is some researchers are known as what I call "super lumpers" and "super splitters". IOW some don't recognize any ssp, and some create so many ssp or forms its insane. I gave up keeping track of the changes after I became inactive in field research. The old taxonomy that I know them as will always redirect to whatever their current is, so I don't bother.

Sandy, with 18 possible Satyridae on the BTP I hope you got to see some others. Some of the high elevation arctic species are a very long and steep hike to get to almost anywhere else, so they are not seen in the wilds by a lot of lep enthusiasits. All but one of those on the BTP you can almost drive to.

L.

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Larry,

I spent the sum total of about 1 hour looking at lep on BTP. : (

• klflorida
    12 years ago

Huh?

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Sandy, if you need a contract I know a guy. ;) On the bright side, if there is one, gives you an excuse to go back and spend time wih Ms A, or even JB. Never did field work together, but we talked a few times. Gives you extra time for your kneee to heal too so maybe you can get to some species you wouldn't have this year anyway. Gives me time to feed more info to you as well if you want it. Heck, with as long as she atays up there every year, "I" would like to go spend time with her and do both wings and fins. LOL
    Larry

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm laughing, Larry! Think I'll go see Susan next week and see what's up with her. And, I'm taking steps to improve the knee. I'll be ready when next year comes. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Sandy

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Next time, don't take your SIL along! :/

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a given, Sherry!

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Next time don't take ANY family along!

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I plan to leave EVERBODY at home. LOL

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I meant everybody. My hubbie's BIL said that I should go back next year by myself.

• ladobe
    12 years ago

"I spent the sum total of about 1 hour looking at lep on BTP."

So how many hours did "D" spend fishing?

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He didn't get to fish. Not sure if he felt up to it, or if we just weren't anywhere long enough. I was sad for him, as he's caught up in the progress of the disease--instead of what he can still accomplish. He did a lot of the driving, and we did a lot of driving, driving, driving. . . And he shook my hand as we parted, and he still has a good grip (I got a hug earlier). I hope he gets to the point where he isn't controlled by the ALS, and decides to live out his time with defiance. But, I'm not the one facing his prognosis, and if I were in his shoes, who knows how I'd react?

FYI, 60% more Vietnam veterans contract this horrible disease than the general public. D was in the Marines and part of helicopter teams that flew in to rescue our guys. He's definitely a good guy!

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry about your husband, Sandy!
    My husband has been disabled for years, and it's so difficult to travel with him, we rarely ever go anywhere any more. I'm not that familiar with ALS, but I know it's terrible!
    'Wonder if there was something about having been in Vietnam that caused it?
    Sherry

• terryr
    12 years ago

That's a pretty butterfly and I'm sorry about your husband. Otherwise, I didn't understand a single word. Way too technical for me.

• ladobe
    12 years ago

FYI "D" is not Sandy's hubby.

Know all about the "rewards" from Vietnam era service... my cancers are are all attributed to it as well, and the hearing loss I've lived with for over 40 years. The American people really appreciated our voluntary service so much though... NOT!

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry to create confusion. D is my BIL. TMI--should have sent this in a private email. Hubby is in excellent health--better than mine.

Sandy

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Larry, I think a lot more people appreciate our vets and particularly our Vietnam vets than you think. I was born in 52 and probably part of the silent majority. I never understood how someone could blame our brave soldiers who were sent there, they didn't ask to go there and yet they did the best job they could. I know when the war was ending I was busy being a new wife and having babies and was not the news junkie I am now, so I seem to have missed the animosity shown to our returning vets. For anyone out there reading this, thank you for what you did!

• ladobe
    12 years ago

bev2009, nothing from Vietnam until 9-11 really started to get the majority of the people in this country patriotic again. You have to be a Vietnam Vet to fully understand what it was like to be one in the 60's, 70's and into the 80's. It eventually got down to where only snide remarks were still commonly heard until 9-11, but some still are even today. I got no support so I offer none, and made sure my son didn't serve in this countries military. L.

• terryr
    12 years ago

Sandy, on forums we always have to be aware of how we write our replies, because if we don't type it up aware of how someone else might take our words, it might sound catty. My gosh I've been around this joint long enough to know better and I thought (anymore) I always made sure to add a smile or something to make sure others knew that I was joking, being a smart @ss or whatever (in a good way though). This time though, I really blew it, and for that, I'm sincerely sorry. Re-reading what I wrote up there, I don't know how I'm supposed to read my own words! I know how I meant it, however it doesn't come across as I intended, so shame on me. :( Please except my apology!

P.S. Glad it's not your hubby that's sick, however it's never a good thing to be ill, no matter who you are.

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Terry,

Sometimes I wish there was a delete button on BF forum--like facebook. :D Then you could just wipe the whole thread away! This is one of those times!! I didn't take offense at anything you said. I answered Larry's question, we usually correspond by email, and realized that I probably should have been more discreet. I've been on the forum too long. I don't take offense at other's remarks unless they are hurtful to someone.

And, in that light and having had lots of friends and schoolmates who served in Vietnam, I have to say that the returning vets were treated badly. The antiwar sentiment created an atmosphere of animosity toward our returning soldiers. The whole war was a mistake as we have learned from history. However, our men who fight are doing so with honor, and should never be denigrated no matter how we feel about the war.

I have a hard time with the wars we are fighting now, but I don't hold our military responsible. I feel so badly for any parent, spouse, child that has lost a child, spouse or parent. I also am aware of the horrible things that happen when these men/women come home. Exposure to chemicals, emotional issues, missing limbs, etc, are just a few. Dreadful diseases like ALS and cancer are the reward for being loyal to our country. If you know a veteran, thank them for putting their life on the line. I lived with two veterans of WW2. I can tell you the scars run deep and all too often silent.

Now, where's that delete button?

Sandy

• terryr
    12 years ago

Thanks Sandy.

I'm just a little too young to have friends or schoolmates that served in Vietnam...my uncle did though. As a kid, I didn't watch the news, so I never heard any of the comments directed towards Vietnam Vets. I have since then...not heard comments directed now, but heard what the comments were from back then. I didn't get it, I don't get, I'll never get it. No, I don't understand war, but what's that got to do with the guy (or gal) serving? I just don't get it....I thank any Vet who is reading this :-) just as I've thanked every Vet I've come in contact with for years now....

Delete? Nah, not necessary...lol..