Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Butterflies make me happy. Give hope.

catherinet
13 years ago

Its not been a good week. Our water pressure tank broke and needed to be replaced on Monday. Maybe it was walking up and down the basement stairs that caused the next problem, but when I woke up on Tuesday, I couldn't put weight on my one leg. I had surgery for a torn meniscus/osteoarthritis on that knee 6 years ago and I had been doing great. But now, I can barely walk through the house.

Then my DH got a terrible cold/flu and couldn't even get out of bed.

My DS who is home from college is helping, but sometimes he's at work, so yesterday morning I got in my car (with the help of a cane) to go to the chicken coop to open it up, when my car wouldn't start!

I tried everything to get it started, but no go.

I called AAA and they came out. My leg was throbbing. But right before they came out, I tried to start it again. It was in the 90's. I was in incredible pain. The dang car was broken, DH was sick, DS is moving into a different apartment next week and I'm an invalid. Oh.....then the nursing home called me to tell me my mother was deteriorating rapidly. I couldn't even begin to get to the nursing home.

But.......as I was sitting in the car, (I had all the doors open, hoping that would cool down the car and hopefully it would start)..feeling sooooo down...when a beautiful butterfly slowly flew through the car in front of me.

All my frustrations dissolved. I smiled. Everything was going to be okay.

Thank you butterflies!

Comments (11)

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Catherine,

I just had to respond to your posting. Yes, butterflies bring us such joy in the midst of life's challenges. And I know a lot about challenges these past two years. Hang in there.

I hope your knee improves, but it sounds like you are going to have to have it checked out. I've had the same surgery for both knees, and the doctor told me I need to consider knee replacements. Friends say they are wonderful.

Rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Hope you can find time to take care of yourself.

May the butterflies continue to bring you joy as you go through this valley.

Sandy

• jeanner
    13 years ago

Catherine,

Oh my, you really are having a rough go of it! I am sorry Catherine, I really wish I could be there to open the chicken coop for you! I hope things ease up soon.

While you are icing that knee, go spend some time by the pond!

• catherinet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Sandy and Jeanne. :)

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

I believe that everything happens for a reason, and you got that beautiful butterfly just when you needed it most. They make my heart sing too. How wonderful! I hope that tomorrow is a much better day.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks bandjzmom. :)

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

My daughter is going through marital problems and I can't do a thing but stand by and watch her pain. But the hardest part is watching my 6 year old grandson suffer.

Those beautiful butterflies take his mind off of things when we pull in the driveway and the butterfly bush is covered in butterflies. He gets excited and I thank God.

Such small creations can help us through the biggest problems.

What a bad day you had. Glad you had that uplifting friend float by. Hope your days are better.

Betty

• catherinet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Betty,
    I had a tough childhood, and there was nothing better than nature to soothe the soul! I tell people I was raised by a grove of trees. haha (well, at least they helped me out alot) So I'm really glad you can offer that connection and beauty to your grandson!
    Good luck to your daughter too.

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

You REALLY had a bad day, Catherine! :(
    Sorry about all the problems, but, you're right, butterflies do make us happy. Sometimes when things get to be too much, I just walk outside and rest my lame brain by focusing on a butterfly, plant or bird, so I sure know what you mean!
    Sherry

• catherinet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Sherry. :)

• jeanner
    13 years ago

Catherine,

How are things going? Better I hope? How's your Mom? And hubby?

I swerved to miss a butterfly today and thought of you!

• catherinet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jeanne. Thanks for asking!
    Hubby is pretty much all better and functioning. My mother is stabilized. Unfortunately, I'm still pretty much an invalid with this knee/leg problem. I'll be calling the doc today.
    In spite of the pain involved, I just had to get outside yesterday. I hobbled out to my new spicebush (Lindera benzoin) and found the cutest like spicebush swallowtail cat curled up in a leaf. My first one!
    I wished I had taken my camera with the macro lens out, but it was just too far to walk with this bum leg. But that little cat looking out at me in that curled leaf gave me a big smile!
    Thanks again jeanne.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville