Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milkweed seeds no longer viable?

Posted by SammyG 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 12:31

I have a lot of different milkweed plants (common milkweed, swamp milkweed, and butterfly weed) and all with seed pods. I also have large milkweed bugs on all of the milkweeds, but I left them- thinking they were only harmful to aphids or monarch caterpillars (and I collect the caterpillars and eggs and raise them in an enclosure).

I didn't realize that they eat the milkweed seeds... so are all of my seedpods now unusable? One of the swamp milkweed pods did open, and there are seeds in there that look normal. But since the milkweed bugs have been around, is it safe to assume that these seeds won't grow?

I'd like to save as much seed as I can, just trying to figure out if what I have is already a lost cause. How do I tell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milkweed seeds no longer viable?

I have been able to harvest plenty of both red & yellow tropical seeds but had decided to hand kill the MW bugs because they were sapping the life out of the pods I saw them on. I would think if the seeds look normal...they would be OK! The ones that are tiny &/or faded looking probably aren't! I think the aphids don't hurt the seeds but the milkweed bugs do! I hate doing it...squishing them even with gloves on...but that is the only way I can figure out how to kill them without killing or harming the queen & monarch cats & eggs!
Maybe someone more experienced can give you better advice! I haven't had seeds on my common, swamp, or showy MWs!
Take care,
Lila

o

I would not assume that all pods are bad, unless you had a terrible infestation of milkweed bugs. Otherwise, you are likely to have some good pods and seeds.

The milkweed seed should look smooth, and somewhat plump and firm in the middle. One way that I check the viability of larger seeds is to use some very sharp scissors, or a blade and cut a seed in half. There should be a small white looking embryo or germ inside - from where the root and cotyledon emerge. If there's no seed embryo, then the seed is not viable.

Milkweed seems to attract so many assorted insects, most of which are "banished" from my plants. This is because they either prey on the Monarch larvae or they degrade the foliage quality of the plants. I admit I am more or less merciless with all other bugs besides Monarchs and they get the big squish (even some I like, oh dear).

o

Thank you so much! A bunch of seed pods are starting to open, and I'd love to harvest and donate/give away the seeds to others who want to plant milkweed. I will test some of the seeds now.

Thanks again for your expertise! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here