Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lafu115

No. VA new butterfly garden -- no butterflies!

lafu115
12 years ago

This spring I planted a fairly large butterfly garden -- did lots of research, have a variety of both host and nectar plants. I only rarely have seen a couple of little butterflies. No cats. I also noticed that my butterfly bushes planted last year in the front yard have many fewer visitors this year. Last year there were many butterflies which is what got me interested in planting the garden this year. This year I have only seen one or two. Is it the heat? Should I being doing something else?

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Be patient, if you can. There's been such strange weather patterns and occurrences all over the country in recent years that I honestly don't think any of us should be surprised if something so fragile as butterflies aren't affected in some of these locations. Heat, drought, torrential rainfall, and other weather events can cause problems.

I've noticed far fewer butterflies, moths, AND song birds this season. We had record breaking cold temperatures this past winter as well as the devastating tornadoes that swept through much of the state.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Yes, be patient. It took 2-3 years before I got much activity. And even this year I had nothing until just a few weeks ago. Also, even if there aren't many butterflies, you are benefitting other nectar loving creatures and contributing to the diversity of nature. So much goes on out there that we aren't aware of, and it's all important to the bigger picture.

Martha

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

How are things in the tornado ravaged parts of Alabama, Rhizo? Weather disasters get lots of press right after they occur, but the victims of it live with the results for years afterward!

The only good thing I can think of about tornadoes is that the insurance companies can't claim the damage was from rising water, not wind, and therefore not pay.

Is much rebuilding going on?

I'm really sorry you've had fewer butterflies and songbirds!

Sherry

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Thank you for asking, Sherry. I am in Northern Alabama, where several tornadoes ravaged entire communities and neighborhoods. Many people are rebuilding; others simply don't have the heart for it. Lots of people still homeless and jobless. In my neighborhood, there was nothing but the sound of chain saws for days. Chain saws and generators. Then, it was the sound of new roofs being put on!

I was amazed at how quickly the mountains of debris vanished, even in the areas that were hit the worst. The 'scars' are still there, though. I worry that people will become fearful of trees and won't replant.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Oh my!
    I recognize the word debris! My husband and I talked after Katrina about how we never used that word except after a hurricane! And when I think of hurricanes, the first thing that comes to mind is the endless sound of chain saws. I'll never forget Hurricane Elena, when we still lived in Gulfport. Somebody in our neighborhood already had his chain saw going before the storm was even over!
    My neighbor here gave me a funny look when she saw how much things had "grown up" at my house. I'm not going to give up on trees, no matter how many hurricanes go through here. Who would want to live in a treeless world?
    Sherry

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

This year my butterfly numbers are low again, as were the past couple years, in Deep East Texas. On the bright side, I am seeing red-spotted purples daily and they are the most abundant species I am seeing this year. I visited my river lot in Spring and there was an abundance of various species, and a monarch butterfly flew beside my truck as I was leaving for a very long time.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH