Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandpapertongue

Do any caterpillars make tents in parsley?

Sandpaper Tongue
10 years ago

I have fallen in love with raising caterpillars! But the sad thing is, I've only had 1 black swallowtail caterpillar so far. It was on my dill, and I had so much fun bringing him inside and seeing him grow and then become such a beautiful butterfly.

But I've had no more! It's been over a month, and while I check daily I have to yet to see another caterpillar. It seems unlikely to me that there would have just been *one* caterpillar. Perhaps they were all eaten and I saved the last one?

I don't see caterpillars, but I have seen many, many other insects, bad and good. My parsley is swarmed with whiteflies. I've seen ladybugs, assassin bugs, countless varieties of garden flies, and tons of wasps both big and small. I wonder if all these predator bugs get all the cats before I have a chance to.

Well, today I saw something new. Two leaves in my parsley were turned over and had silk inside. Does anyone know what caterpillar does that? Is it more likely to be a moth?

The picture isn't very good. I'm not photographer. But the turned over leaf is right in the center of the picture, and the whiteness is the silk.
Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz