Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guess What I Found....:)

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 13:19

Hi everyone,

I looked at my swamp milkweed yesterday and I found a caterpillar and I looked again today and it was just as I thought: it's a Monarch! Guess I'm gonna have to look over my other milkweeds to see if I have other cats!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guess What I Found....:)

Congratulations! I found three hatchlings on my milkweed this morning - they must be beginning their track back to the south.

~Laura

o

Congratulations, Brad! There seem to be fewer reports of them this season. I hope we'll have more sightings when they begin the return journey. In the meantime, raise that baby and send him south to Arkansas :-)

Mary

o

Congrats! That's very exciting! Cute little fellas, aren't they?

Karen

o

Very exciting! Are you going to bring him in and raise him?? :)

o

Thank you, everyone!

Oh yes, they are adorable!!! This one doesn't look very old as it's really small. Terrene, I would love to raise it (alas, we never know the gender until it ecloses) indoors but I'll have to find a way to if the weather starts turning colder. For now, I'll leave it where it is. It seems happy on the milkweed :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad, why not bring it in if you don't have any others? Otherwise, it will more than likely get eaten by a predator.

I've also brought in 2 larger cats this year that had wasp larva inside of them! Never experienced that before.

It has been a busy monarch year up here so whoever is in the return path of the Minnesota monarchs should get some eggs/cats soon.

o

Hmm, that's a very good point! However, what shall I keep it in? I have some Mason jars, or perhaps something more breathable like one of those cheap insect houses from the dollar store? I already know what to feed it :). I have common milkweed leaves I can give it too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here