Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Look What I Found On My Butterfly Weed Today!

Posted by organic_kitten 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 13:30

I noticed my butterfly weed looked a little ragged today, and since I had seen a female monarch on it, I decided to look.

The culprit was easy to find! This Newbie is really excited.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

He was really chomping away at the butterfly weed. Which was planted for that very reason. Yippee!
kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Look What I Found On My Butterfly Weed Today!

Oh what a happy success! VERY good!

o

That's great! Looks like he's going to pupate soon so he will probably disappear off your tropical milkweed. Next time you can collect some eggs when you see the female and have more success. :)

o

Congratulations! Welcome to the addiction of butterfly raising...

Jeff

o

Early morning is the best time to find them. They are up at the top of the plants. Later in the morning, they go down to the lower leaves and actually off the plants to avoid predators.

o

Congrats kitten!! Good for you! It is really exciting to find them, and it's even more exciting to raise them and observe the whole process of metamorphosis. Be forewarned that it is an addicting hobby!

o

Well, I had looked after the momma stayed on the plant so long, but didn't find anything. I am thrilled to see this cat. I am so happy to see she did use it.

I am such a newbie, I will have to get a lot better at finding the little ones.
kay

o

They can be amazingly hard to locate kitten. You'd think that with the stripes and colors they would stand out like sore thumbs, but they have the ability to just disappear on those plants. Check underneath the individual leaves. If you are going to rescue them, it's best to catch them when they are small and before they fall prey to the wasps and flies.

o

Congratulations! I know how excited you are. I found a strange looking large caterpillar on my 4o'clocks this morning and have no idea what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here