Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spicebush swallowtail? Or wishful thinking?

Posted by dr.liz 7 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 13:32

Since I've never seen one before...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spicebush swallowtail? Or wishful thinking?

Another shot.

o

I think that's what it is. You know, I am fortunate to have lots of these in my gardens but I've yet to see even one caterpillar.

o

It's a somewhat faded, male spicebush swallowtail. Congratulations!

Sherry

o

After I'd about decided the Spicebush b-flies weren't coming this year, then tiny cats finally showed up. Didn't even see the mother, but the cut, folded leaves told me all I needed to know, there's 16 itty bitty cats so far plus one egg I've noticed! So sweet!

o

I'm thrilled! Sherry, can you explain how you made the ID on these less than ideal pictures? (Other than seeing a zillion of these butterflies. :-)) I know one mark to look for is the black dot inside the red dot, but I can't see any dot at all. I also read that another mark is the blue "comet" on the underside of the wing, but of course I don't have an underwing shot either. What's suggested the possibility to me were the crescents on the trailing edge of the hind wing-they look like they might be powder blue. But I'm not even sure I remember that field marked correctly from one of your previous tutorials.
Liz

o

Having seen a zillion of them is what did it, Liz. They're a very common swallowtail around here (they're the state butterfly) and I've raised a lot of them all through the years, especially this year.

The greenish coloring that extends high up on the hindwing is indicative of a faded male - they start out sort of aqua blue or sometimes gray blue, then fade to dull green with age. The lunules on the edge of the wings are diagnostic, as are the 'V' markings on the hindwings just entering the top of the green area. Also, the way he's holding his wings, sort of curvy, is like spicebush swallowtails. Tigers look triangular, and most swallowtails have their own 'look'.

Sherry

o

Thanks! I'll chalk this up as the first towards my zillion. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here