Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Plants available

bob_71
12 years ago

As the hottest and dryest season in my memory comes to a close, I am facing reality! I'm no longer physically and mentally capable of properly tending to my butterfly garden.

I have upwards of 200 plants that are about equally divided between host and nectar plants. They are all in either 5 or 15 gallon flexible pots. They can be easily dug and removed with the pots which allows minimal root disturbance. Many will have some degree of anchor roots extending from the drainage holes that will need to be shortened (in some cases).

I live in Severna Park, MD which is between Annapolis and Glen Burnie. Send me an e-mail if you have any interest...I have a complete list of plants available. If you have any interest, the price is free...you dig and haul. The plants would survive the move better if they were dug in late October-early November after they go dormant.

I am attaching a few photos.

Bob

This is how they appear in early spring...they are potted and then buried about half the depth of the pot as "armor" against voles.

{{gwi:525713}}

Quite a bit of Brazilian Verbena available. It is probably one of my top five nectar plants.

{{gwi:525715}}

A current view of a part of the garden showing Glossy Abelia, Brazilian Verbena, Black-Eyed Susan

{{gwi:525716}}

Anise Hyssop

{{gwi:525717}}

Rose Penta and Bush's Poppy Mallow

{{gwi:525718}}

Butterfly weed

{{gwi:525719}}

Comments (28)

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

What a tragedy for you to have to give up so much. But, I understand the importance of simplifying and not being a slave to our hobbies or possessions. Good luck in your endeavors.

Martha

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

I'm sorry you are having to give it up -if I lived closer I would LOVE to come adopt some of your plants. I hope they all find good homes! :-)

~Laura

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry you must give up your butterfly garden. Just by looking at all you've done, I know how much you must have enjoyed it. It is kind and generous of you to share out your lovely plants with other gardeners, so that the plants will continue to contribute to the Butterflies.

It has been a backbreaking season, here, too, so I understand a limit can be reached. I keep thinking about the lack of plants due to the drought so I keep watering, trying to keep some of the plants blooming and growing.

My thanks, again, for all you've done for the butterflies.

Mary

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

I am facing the same prospect of giving up my butterfly plants over the next 2 years. I plan to offer to my butterfly friends first and then will just dig under the rest except for a few ornamentals that folks might like to see in a landscape when I put my property up for sale.

I wish you good luck in finding homes for all your beauties, Bob! I is difficult giving up your love and passion, isn't it?

Susan

• pensacolarobin
    12 years ago

Oh, if I only lived close to you. I hurt my back several years ago and thought I would never do the things I do today .Sometimes a GOOD doctor can perform "miracles".I would keep a couple favorites(maybe in containers) to keep my spirits up and consider calling an elementary school and see if one of the teachers might want them or perhaps a local church that doesn't have much money. It can be very scary when you can't do the things you want, but never give up.

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Just want to reiterate what Robin said about calling schools or perhaps the local Audubon Society or Master Gardeners. There are people out there who would dearly love to receive all the plants; it's just finding them! Do you have freecycle available in your area? It's a group on y_hoo that posts giveaways and wants. I've used it to recycle flower pots. People come and get the items.

Good luck, Bob. So many of us are approaching the time when we won't be able to care for our gardens. You've been through a difficult period. You are in my thoughts as you make decisions and changes.

Please keep up with the photography and think about a pbase gallery. It's a great way to share your photos.

Sandy

• Tom
    12 years ago

Bob, it seems that you have gone through a lot to plant, pot and then dig the holes for all of these plants. That's a lot of effort. I have an area in the back of my house that is quite large and I have had to keep replanting it after the freezes. Slowly, however, I have found perennials that will survive the weather and don't require me to plant them again.

I know that many of your plants are annuals in your area, but perhaps you can concentrate on planting some bushes and/or small trees that will feed the birds and butterflies and won't require so much work.

I live in Central Florida and can't take any of your plants, but I appreciate your generosity in offering them to us.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about having to give up your butterfly garden. Wow - that would be very hard for me. Would it be possible to keep just a few plants for your and the leps' enjoyment?

If I lived closer, I would love to take some of your plants. Hopefully you will find other butterfly lovers. As a backup you could consider selling some of your beautiful plants on Craigslist. I bet you would have lots of takers in the fall and they will even dig too. I have used Freecycle, but would hesitate to give them away. When people have to pay a little money for something, they have a tendency to take better care of them.

• mcronin
    12 years ago

Bob,

I haven't been as active on this Forum since my wife died in Feb. but I've communicated with you about your great pictures and about your tutorials on photography. My regional library is helping me develop a KAREN CRONIN MEMORIAL GARDEN that will feature butterfly plants. It is located at the library in Elliston,VA and while we have already put in about 40 amended beds of plants, we plan to add many more in the fall. If the trip is reasonable for me, I'd like to add some of your plants to the Memorial Garden and think it would be especially appropriate given the TLC that both you and Karen gave to butterfly gardening. I can get from my home to Wolf Trap in Vienna in about 4 hours.

Mike

• bob_71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike has agreed to use all these plants in Karen's MEMORIAL GARDENS. I am honored to have them used in such a lasting and wonderful tribute!

Bob

• Ament
    12 years ago

That is a very wonderful thing to do with them. I am so glad someone is able to do so. :) Sorry to hear about your troubles Bob. I totally understand how hard it can be. But do think you should maybe try and find some plants you could leave out there in that location to enjoy without quite so much effort put into them.

~Tina Marie

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I'm so glad your plants have found a good home, Bob!

Sherry

• Tony G
    12 years ago

What a great ending to your search. Your beautiful plants will make a fine addition to Karen's memorial garden.

Be sure to post some pictures Mike! Tony

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

Oh, I'm so glad! They couldn't have a better new home.

Your plants will be WELL taken care of. And I can visit them!! WIN-WIN!!

Betty

• Ament
    12 years ago

Be sure to get pictures Betty, I love to look at pictures of things people find out there. :)

~Tina

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

Tina,

I always take pictures, but I really need photography classes! lol

I'll post any that aren't blurry.

Betty

• Ament
    12 years ago

Betty, send me an email so I can discuss the camera issue with you? :) Maybe I can help a little with the blur problems. I don't want to hi-jack this thread lol

~Tina

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Bob,

I have kept up with this thread and am so thrilled that your plants will be included in the Karen Cronin Memorial Garden. I hope someday I will be able to travel to VA to see the garden. You and Mike have had difficult years. May many butterflies find the garden and add joy to lots of lives.

Sandy

• klflorida
    12 years ago

Returning to the board after a bit of a hiatus and wanted to mention the pictures made me smile and the thread left me feeling warm and reflective.

Blessings to you all and to you in particular Bob.

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Wonderful resolution!

Mary

• mcronin
    12 years ago

Our entire community thanks Bob for contributing his plants and his high-resolution pictures to the Karen Cronin Memorial Garden in Shawsville, VA (1/2 hour SW of Roanoke, VA). His generosity and the warmth and caring expressed to Bob and to me on this thread are perfect examples of what makes this Forum so wonderful. My deepest thanks to Bob and to all of you.

Mike

• perennialfan273
    12 years ago

Is there any more of the Rondeletia leucophylla available?? I would've asked earlier, but unfortunately I was in Mexico this past week. Would I be able to grow this as an annual in my zone??

• bob_71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, perennialfan, but there was only one bush Penta.

I believe that all the Pentas will do OK as ANNUALS. I bought started plants from Almost Eden and they have done very well in my zone 7 area.

Bob

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

Tina,

Email coming your way.

Thanks,
    Betty

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Mike - What a wonderful thing you're doing for Karen. I'd love to hear more about the garden. 40 beds already! Sounds like it's going to be very nice. Maybe you could post some progress pictures.
    Bless you Bob for donating so much.

• mcronin
    12 years ago

Bob,

Ditto to what Christie said about you for donating so many plants for Karen's Memorial Garden. A friend and I picked up the first load of Bob's outstanding plants on Friday. Today I dug and amended 20 beds each with a bag of composted cow manure and a bag of topsoil. Tomorrow I will plant Bob's plants and Monday I will mulch and water them. The garden is designed for enjoyment as well as for educational and therapeutic purposes and the main recipient of the therapeutic effects is ME. I think about Karen while I'm working in the garden and feel so happy to help create such a special place as a memorial to such a special person. She really lived the "ALOHA SPIRIT."

mike

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

I'm so glad that the first installment is in! I can't wait to come back and see it.

I will probably drive on past your road to visit that garden first!! lol

I hope you're not too tired from all of the work.

Did you get any rain from Irene? We did, but no damage, Thank God!

Our pastor's daughter lives in Richmond and isn't sure when they will get power restored.

Betty

• mcronin
    12 years ago

Betty,

I'm so anxious to have you and Alfred see what we've done with plants donated from Camelot, another local garden, AND BOB'S WONDERFUL GARDEN. I'm so proud of this wonderful community for all it has done to remember Karen ( e.g., all the articles about her, the memorial service at the community center, the legacy fund in her name, the memorial garden).

We didn't get a drop of rain from Irene-we received .85 inches in August and Camelot shows it.

mike

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?