Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Camera/Toy is Here!

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 13:38

I got my new camera yesterday, and I've been playing with it off and on since then. I've made my first two pictures with it, and I think I'm really gonna love this one! I made these two pictures with the lens about 1" or 2" away from the caterpillars. It has an "Intelligent Auto" setting that does all the work for you. It also will take 3-D pictures, but I haven't gotten to that yet, also movies.

I found two more buckeye - Junonia coenia for Larry - caterpillars and brought all four of them in to raise myself. Here's the biggest one -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I keep finding more and more monarch - Danaus plexippus - caterpillars on my A. curassavica - I'm up to 46! I've brought them to the porch to raise, and I'm running back and forth to the garden night and day for leaves. There is another female monarch who's laying more eggs, so I have to check each leaf before I cut it off to be sure there are no eggs on it.
Two monarch cats -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Camera/Toy is Here!

Sherry,

You didn't mention which camera you got. What is it? The pictures are great. Can't believe you can get within an inch of the subject--that's remarkable. Did you order through B&H?

Sandy

o

Sherry,

Excellent pictures. I thought I went through a lot of cameras in my active years, but not as many as you have lately. I'm still getting by on that one model up from the Canon you recommended way back when. But then I have had nothing flying here the last two years to take pictures of anyway. Gave all the other digitals to my son, including that Canon S3 IS and a drawer full of accessories I never did use. The SLR's with lenses in tow are too heavy to lug around anymore.

Please call the bugs and plants whatever you want - common names, acronyms/initialisms, etc. I've given up on the folks here using taxonomy, correct taxonomic grammar or entomolgical terms even though some here do have enough experiance to be doing so and teaching others. I'll still use them just like I have for 47 years (HC)... so I guess we can all be confused together. LOL

Larry

o

Sandy, it's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX78, and I did order it from B&H - their price was the best. It reminds me a lot of that great Canon I had before the last Canon that took such great pictures. Now I hope its lens won't get stuck and unable to move into the picture taking position. That's what happened to the great Canon after about a year or year and a half. I read reviews of that Canon, and everybody else's Canon like that did the same thing.

Larry, my husband has his ham radio, and I have my cameras! :) For whatever reason, I really enjoy taking pictures of butterflies, moths, caterpillars, bugs, etc.

'Can't wait to try that 3-D thing!

Sherry

o

I think you're gonna like it Sherry. My daughter has a new Sony that automatically picks the setting. It's pretty impressive. If you hold it close to the subject, it knows to switch to macro. I've "borrowed" it several times. I'm getting a camera shopping itch. Mine is more than 3 years old, still a good camera but there's some nice ones out there that make it tempting.
Lumix gets great reviews. I look forward to more photos from you.

o

Woo hoo ... a BIG 'Congratulations', Sherry. Isn't it fun to get a new camera. Your photos are great; wonderful color and very sharp.The little cat in the first photo really stands out with that nice bokeh.

Have fun and please post your captures with your new camera. We learn so much from the photos.

~Mary

o

wow, very nice sharp photo, good camera, please share more.

o

Excellent photos, Miss Sherry! Panasonic makes a really fine camera! My grandson has a Panasonic and uses it extensively at the drag races.

Bob

o

How fun! A new camera is always a blast, and I know we will see some great shots from your gardens. Keep posting more pics!

o

I'm excited for your Sherry...Can't wait to see your photographic masterpieces!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here