Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Research Help Please

I have been scouring the net trying to find out the distinguishing difference between the Aphrodite and Mormon Fritillary. I can't spot difference from pictures (beginners eye maybe) and I haven't been able to find it described online. So my question to you experts is can you tell me from your vast knowledge or books what I should be looking for? I sort of set a goal of trying to find out the difference and to get a picture of a mormon fritillary.

Thanks in advance,

SCG

Comments (10)

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

SCG,

I can tell you from experience that identifying fritillaries is a challenge. I took a trip to Driggs, Idaho last summer and photographed lot of frits. I submitted some to experts, including Jim Brock, coauthor of Kaufman's Field Guide to North American Butterflies, and a friend that used to post here. Without both an upper (dorsal) and an underneath (ventral) shot of the butterfly, it's hard to get a clear ID. So, when you are taking photos, go for open and closed wing shots. And try submitting to Butterflies of America. This is where the REAL experts are. BAMONA is good, but BOA is great.

Sandy

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I just didn't want to send hundreds of pics HOPING and folks getting tired of seeing my submissions.

Sadly, the fritillary numbers are plummeting daily :-(.

Thanks

SCG

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

SCG,

Even the experts have trouble IDing the frits!

Original Author
    10 years ago

I will say the BOA website is far from beginner friendly...i don't even know where to start and I consider myself computer savvy.

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

I've included a page with directions for doing an image search. The google bar is for typing in the common or scientific name. You can look at live specimens or pinned specimens. I think once you get the hang of it, you'll find there is a lot more available.

Here is a link that might be useful: BOA directions for search

• NaturesFolly
    10 years ago

This may help SCG :) If you change the view to Dorsal you can also see the wings open.

Here is a link that might be useful: Image gallery Butterflies and Moths of N. America

This post was edited by NaturesFolly on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 13:05

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, thanks NaturesFolly I never knew of that feature. My problem is even though I have looked at hundreds and hundreds of pictures I can't tell the difference. I was hoping someone could say one has 4 purple feet or something of the sort.

Thanks for the info will make some searching easier next time.

SCG

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Matching the intricate patterns of similar butterflies is an inborn talent, can be improved a little with much practice for those with less ability. Take a few minutes break after every few dozen or so image attempts, that will give you fresh eyes.

A person who enjoys and is good at jigsaw puzzles would likely be good ad ID-ing butterflies. I mean completing the puzzle in hours as opposed to days.

And of course some species are too similar with overlapping patterns to be easily identified. Then it is best to stop at Greater Fritillary or Lesser Fritillary.

Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL thanks Larry. I do have a problem and it is slightly OCD based, I think. Now that I have challenged myself, I have to find out. In the past few days I have close to 3200 captures of about 600 different fritillaries. I am in the process of labelling them and sorting into dorsal or vent. groups so I can do the puzzle :) lol.... yeahp I am whacked!! Heck I even drove a couple hundred yards as fast as I could to the next flower patch to help stop cross contamination from previous photos.....Can anyone here legally commit me?

Appreciate all the help. I can see I need a few more thousand photos to look over during the winter months, especially if I am in a straight jacket!

SCG

Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL thanks Larry. I do have a problem and it is slightly OCD based, I think. Now that I have challenged myself, I have to find out. In the past few days I have close to 3200 captures of about 600 different fritillaries. I am in the process of labelling them and sorting into dorsal or vent. groups so I can do the puzzle :) lol.... yeahp I am whacked!! Heck I even drove a couple hundred yards as fast as I could to the next flower patch to help stop cross contamination from previous photos.....Can anyone here legally commit me?

Appreciate all the help. I can see I need a few more thousand photos to look over during the winter months, especially if I am in a straight jacket!

SCG