Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New setup

Posted by dr.liz 7 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 14:02

Laundry hamper, courtesy of IKEA.Can't beat the price-- $7.
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New setup

I'm not seeing the picture, but would like to since we have an Ikea close by.

o

Sorry, I don't know what happened. The picture icon is there. I'll try again.

o

That's pretty cool...bet they never envisioned it being used like that!

o

How perfect! I kept thinking I had seen a popup hamper with a zipper somewhere. I just could not remember where. Now that I know, I will definitely get a couple of them on my next visit. They will be perfect to give to some of the kids I share caterpillars with. I don't mind spending $7 when it inspires a love of nature. Looks like I have another reason to go to Ikea!

o

Actually, the top closes with a Velcro fastener. I wish it were a zipper, since there could potentially be some little gaps at the top.

o

Very pretty ... cushy caterpillar condo!

If you plan for the cats to pupate in the container, please consider placing some tall twigs, secured in a heavy based container so that the twigs don't move about, inside for the little cats to pupate on. They seem to like the rough feel of a zipper or the edge of an opening and will sometimes choose that spot to attach to. If this happens, it's next to impossible to get the container opened to clean and place fresh food. Been there, done that. :-)

Mary

o

That looks great!

Sherry

o

Mary,
You are so right! It almost happened to me, but I lucked out. I thought I might have to cut a hole in the side! They seem to have decided to pupate on the inner rim of the cage, the part where the lid rests. so I can still open the top. At this point all three have pupated in a safe spot, but for future reference I will definitely do what you suggest!
Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here