Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurellily

WANTED: 'Exchange' section for Butterfly Forum

LaurelLily
16 years ago

Would anybody else be interested in petitioning Garden Web to add an exchange section to the butterfly forum? I know that we can't really send each other cats or eggs, but why not have a swap section here for host and nectar plants, instead of the odd seed offer lost in a thread, or looking for our butterfly plants in other GW forums? I'd be happy to let some seed pods mature for some plants I've got and swap seeds for stuff I don't grow--and of course there are ways of swapping actual plants and cuttings, too.

Anybody wanna help me beg? : )

Comments (25)

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Sounds like a good idea to me - I'll help you beg!
    MissSherry

• tdogmom
    16 years ago

Would love it. I know we tried something awhile ago...kept the thread up and running it seemed like forever, as a way to get the powers that be to see we were really interested but it panned out.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I believe this should be posted, and replied to, over on the Suggestions Forum. I'll help beg too!!!

• aggscott
    16 years ago

Me too! I'm on to the begging! What a great idea..

Aggie

• jwink246
    16 years ago

I am on the begging bandwagon!
    Jennifer

• LaurelLily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great idea about posting on the suggestion forums! I've done so, and here is the link. Thank you for helping me promote this idea--I'll cross my fingers that they'll agree it's a doable request! : )

Here is a link that might be useful: exchange forum request posted on suggestion forum

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    I'll join in the begging too.
    I did a butterfly garden swap just for host and necter seeds and plants and I got some great plants from my buddy. evan with out a trade site we can start monthly swaps where we pair up and exchange seeds, plants, cuttings, and some people like to send small gifts.
    this is a great idea.
    michelle

• sandwhy
    16 years ago

please please please [puppy dog eyes] !!!

:) Sandy

• leubafr
    16 years ago

I am certainly no stranger to 'begging'. Count me in . . .

• shellfreak
    16 years ago

I think its a great idea. In the spirit of giving: I know you guys probably already have these but I have LOTS of Mexican Sunflower Tithonia rotundifolia 'Torch' and Milkweed Asclepias Curassavica seeds if anybody wants or needs some. Happy to get a newbie started or replenish an established bflier's supply.

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello shellfreak
    I would love some of both of those seeds, my mother in law said I could start a butterfly garden in her back yard. it is a circle in her yard about 30ft across, and I want to plant as many host and nector plants as possible there next year.
    please have a look at my trade list and see if I have anything you would like.
    michelle

ps things I'm looking for
    spicebush - seed or very small plant
    pipevine - seed- it is not hardy right?
    milkweeds- seeds other than common pink with large leafs.
    butterfly weed - have orange, would like seeds for others
    poppler - seed or seedling
    hops - are these vine or bush or tree. seeds wanted
    sassafrass - seeds or seedlings
    rue - seeds
    tulip tree - are these hardy? seeds
    passion vine - seeds or rooted cuttings
    most any good annual necter plants

things I have or will have
    common milk weed seeds - will have lots in fall
    1 small hackberry tree
    honeyvine or whitevine - seeds available soon **caution invasive** but the monarchs like them.
    small oak seedling
    many other seeds on my trade list.
    thanks michelle

• shellfreak
    16 years ago

Michelle: I just sent you an email. You can have as much as you need. When you get the honeyvine seeds just save me a few. If you don't get the email, let me know on this board.

Beverly

• caterwallin
    16 years ago

I think an exchange section is a great idea and I've been wanting that for awhile already. I went on the plant exchange forum but never got anything there. Since we're kindred spirits here, we're probably more likely to have what each other wants. I'm certainly willing to share my extras and am looking for some things also. It would be nice to have an easier way of looking to see what people are looking for and what they have to exchange. Beg beg beg! :)
    Cathy

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    beverly - got the e-mail and I will have a letter out to you tomarrow. I have seen several seed pods forming on the honeyvine already, I just mowed today but first I checked all the little honeyvines in the lawn, and found 10 monarch eggs and one cat.
    thanks for the seeds
    cathy- I sent you an e-mail too, I'd be happy to trade.

for anyone that starts lots of seeds I also have several dozen nursery 3 pack trays, each tray holds I think 18-3 packs. they are used but in good shape, I will also include plant markers for each 3 pack.

michelle

• caterwallin
    16 years ago

Michelle, Got it and emailed you back. Thanks!
    Cathy

• jasenka
    16 years ago

That's great idea, count my vote for yes, even though I won't be able to participate in this activite (because customs here are very rigorous about plants that are entering and exiting Croatia, but some smaller seeds get throught sometimes if they are in hidden places ;) lol).

Anyhow I support you 100% :))

Jasenka

• leo_butterflylover
    16 years ago

I am begging already!

I need some Duchman's pipevine bad! Can someone help?

I am on my knees...

Leo.

• spiderwoman
    16 years ago

We went through this back when iVillage first took over GW and the one thing I recall was that we were told to post the request on the Suggestions and Comments forum with a note on this forum directing members there. We obviously did not get the exchange but maybe this is better timing. For heavens sake if there is demand for a forum for Lucky Bamboo surely they can spare a page or two for a nice busy forum like this one!!
    You certainly get my yes vote!!
    spiderwoman

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Post here. The link will bring you to the Suggestions Forum thread...

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I think we need more begging ;)

Post here. The link will bring you to the Suggestions Forum thread...

• angie83
    16 years ago

Everyone who want a exchange please post .

angie

• dizzy45
    16 years ago

I with you!! I get tired of searching here and there for my butterfly plants and seeds and Information that gets lost or buried under other posts!!

Please add one please!!!
    I am beggin' you!

Carol

• angie83
    16 years ago

Please all who want a exchange please post on this site listed below.Maybe if we beg enough well get it.
    Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: suggest

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

I want an exchange. I was trying to get one over in the seed exchange and I had a few people that were interested. Want to see if I can bring them over here? Who do we talk to?? "standing on soapbox with arm in the air"