Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runmede

Help with Hostplants for Giant STs in Illinois

runmede
12 years ago

Monarch Watch Forum Message Requesting Help with Hostplants for Giant STs in Illinois

If anyone can help them, let me know and I can post your reply to the Monarch Watch Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Watch Forum Message Requesting Help with Hostplants for Giant STs in Illinois

Comments (12)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I read her post, and I don't know what she can do right now for giant swallowtail host plant leaves.
    Ptelea trifoliata is native to all of Illinois, so, I'd highly recommend she plant it, preferably several of them. No GST host plant is any more attractive for egg-laying than this one, and GST cats grow faster on it than any other.
    Zanthoxylum americanum is native to about half of Illinois, so I'm sure it'd grow for her. If it's no more attractive to GSTs than Z. clava-herculis, then it'd be better not to plant it. But I've never grown it, so I don't know.
    Unless she can find some rue, I don't know what she can do.
    She could order some from Shady Oak Butterfly Farm in Florida, but the plants are small, and wouldn't grow big enough, quick enough.
    Maybe she can find a stand of Ptelea trifoliata growing in her area?
    Sherry

• terryr
    12 years ago

I don't know how far they're willing to go, because I see Lincolnshire is in Lake county and Possibility Place is in Monee, IL, just south of Joliet, in Will county. I believe Will is the county below Lake, but if I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time...I'm on the opposite side of the state. I'm in the northern part of IL, just the opposite side than Chicago and all it's suburbs. So anyway...I digress...Possibility Place sells Ptelea trifoliata. The link is below, showing the plant. Down at the bottom of the page is their phone number, I would recommend giving them a call. Not sure if the plant would be large enough, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Possibility Place and their Ptelea trifoliata

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

I was in the same boat last year. I know a local metropark that raises butterflies. They had Zanthoxylum americanum in the park. I gave them my extra GST eggs and they raised them.

For some reason, my account at Monarch Watch has been made inactive. I have not taken the time to do something about it.

• runmede
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I posted the garden forum website of this topic so that they can read what we are saying.

Thanks every one for your help.

• caterwallin
    12 years ago

Mona,
    Could you please have her email me at yomamab at yahoo dot com. I think I can help her.
    Cathy

• runmede
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sent her a Private Message on the Monarch Watch Forum. Thank you.

• caterwallin
    12 years ago

Mona, I hope you see this. My email mustn't be working...I haven't seen any email from her. Sorry, I should have given you both of my emails, I guess. My other one is cbrouse at gmail dot com. Sorry, and thanks.
    Cathy

• runmede
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I tried to send her a private message, but she has not picked it up. I did post a message to the Monarch Watch Forum that she should check the Garden Forum topic.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Watch Message

• caterwallin
    12 years ago

Uh boy, what a conundrum. I hope that she sees it. Thanks for relaying the message. I'm not a member of that forum as one forum is just enough for me to get into trouble. ;-)

• caterwallin
    12 years ago

Update: I just got an email from her and am going to reply to her now. I think things will work out one way or another. Thanks again.
    Cathy

• michd
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone!

I signed up on this website yesterday - tons of information. I've been raising monarchs for the past couple of years but have not yet tried other species. I plant/maintain for alot of them, but let them take care of themselves. I can see I'll be planting hops trees and common rue now... In fact, I'm planning a fall visit to Possibility Place. It'll be a day trip! Thank you, terryr, for the idea.

I've been grazing the forums a bit and found a couple ideas I'll put into use today. Unfortunately, my home internet service makes it all but impossible to spend much time surfing around; too impatient to spend 5-10 minutes bringing up one thread. I'll check it out at work - oh, my poor boss! He thinks I'm there late WORKING.

Thank you, all, again!

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Welcome Michd! Congrats on finding the Giant Swallowtails.

Bless your soul if you're having to use dial-up. We were stuck with that for a long time because we're in a rural area. We have an antenna on our roof now so we can pick up high speed service.

I could spare some rue but it's 106 here and I'm afraid it wouldn't be in very good condition when it gets there. If you want to try it anyway, you can email me through Gardenweb and I will mail you some.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz