Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think I've seen my first Gulf Frit ??

Posted by mary_littlerockar 7b Central Arkansas (mleek@sbcglobal.net) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 14:31

While collecting pipevine leaves, I noticed a fluttering out of the corner of my eye. ALERT to brain ... Bright Orange ... oh my, ran into the house to grab my camera and I got three shots before it spiraled up into the sky with another bright orange butterfly. Waited a while but they didn't return. I SO HOPE this is a Gulf Frit. It had big white spots on the underside of the wings but none of my shots caught it with it's wings up.

Even if it's not a Gulf Frit, it's a new butterfly to my garden. First the little sweetie pie munching on the Pentas and now this new butterfly. Can my day get any better! :-)

~Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think I've seen my first Gulf Frit ??

Mary YES it's' a Gulf Fritillary! Yay! Gives me hope that I may actually see one this year. Congratulations! These little guys have been scarce this year. Normally I have several visitors per day - but this year I haven't seen a single one... yet. :-)

~Laura

o

Beautiful picture, Mary!
And yes, indeed, it's an eye-popping orange gulf frit - congrats, congrats!
I'm happy to report I've got jillions of 'em!
Sherry

o

My friend and I both noticed that we had fewer this spring and early summer and that those we had were tiny compared to past years. We are finally getting big numbers and much larger GFs. Don't really understand why as we both have had lots of Passionvines of different types. Right now they are devouring my Suberosa and leaving the Maypops, Incense, and Lady Margaret alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here