Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It Happened Again!

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 14:34

I look at the passionvines for eggs/cats every day and haven't found any. But today, just like a few weeks ago, I found two cats -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The last two cats were further along than these two, and, fortunately, neither were parasitized, both emerged as perfect adults. Hopefully, these will be perfect, too!
I also found a couple of giant swallowtail eggs on the new growth on my young satsuma tree. All the rains we've been fortunate enough to have recently - just under 12" in July - have brought on new growth on everything, and the eggs were on the new shoots. There was a male pipevine swallowtail nectaring in my garden a little while ago, and I noticed a lot of new growth on the pipevines. Hopefully, a female will show up and use it!
Anybody else been seeing any gulf frits, adult, eggs or cats? I'm still concerned about them. Two cats at a time isn't their normal way!
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It Happened Again!

Nice surprise!
No Gulf Frits here yet. Last summer they showed up in early to mid August and then I saw them pretty often for the rest of the summer. I don't know how common it is for them to venture this far north. I'm hoping to see some again this summer.

o

Sherry,

Which Satsuma do you have? And, where did you purchase it?

o

It's called Brown's Select, a very hardy variety that's supposed to ripen early, the favorite of many citrus growers. I got mine from a road side vegetable/fruit stand, but the tag on it said it was grafted at Becnel's Citrus Nursery, which is the origin of all the local citrus around here. I bought my big orange tree - Louisiana Sweet - at Home Depot, but it also came from Becnel's.
Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Becnel Citrus Nursery

o

I saw my first here this weekend...normally there are 15+ at any given time during the summer here....Must have been our hard freeze this year, followed by the drought.....I am lost without ours....they are usually here all year long, cept the coldest days....it is so abnormal "not" to have them.....I'll ck my vine tomorrow and see if I have any cats/ eggs

o

I am finally seeing lots of GFs!!! Once again...they ignore my maypops & only use my Blue passionvines.
I have at least a half dozen adults flying & lots of different instars of cats.
Slow start but it seems to be picking up now even with 105-110 degree temps here! Thank goodness we are on well water!!!

o

That's great, imabirdnut! It's good to hear that somebody is seeing a lot of them!
Akaj9, you've got to see the first one before you see many - hopefully your gulf frit situation will improve soon!
I'm seeing a few, as many as two or three in my garden at the time, but not the usual flock.
Sherry

o

None in OKC yet, that I know of......

I have lots and lots and lots of passion vine - which I've named Audrey II (Little Shop of Horrors) ready to be eaten.

Susan

o

As many as six gulf frits have been turning up in the garden, nectaring, mostly on lantana. This afternoon I ran across something that gives me hope for eggs and cats -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I sure hope she sticks around with her stash and leaves me some presents! :)
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here