Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally Eclosed! So beautiful!

Posted by Ament 5a SD (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 14:41

Oh My I think I am hooked! So gorgeous! Is it a boy or a girl? I love this, now I know why you all get so excited. :)

I woke this morning to a clear chrysaliss, knew it was close to time but had to run to town... I missed this one coming out, but I enjoyed none the less. Now I need to find eggs and enjoy this from start through to release. :)

~Tina Marie

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally Eclosed! So beautiful!

Congrats, it's a male!

o

It is addicting! It such a joy to know their chances of survival are greater if we give them a helping hand.

o

Congratulations, Tina Marie! He is beautiful.

~Laura

o

Congrats, congrats, Tine Marie!
Those look like scent glands on the stripe - he's a beautiful boy!
Sherry

o

Wow that was so exciting! Hehe That beautiful boy stuck around for awhile on the tomato plant I had hanging on my deck in a topsy turvy. I didn't place him out further in the yard, was scared he'd get killed by something before he had a chance.

By the time he was ready to fly away, my middle child (17) came over to visit and he got to see the butterfly too. When I reached out to stick a finger under him, the monarch decided it was time to fly away. So, he's off and flying! So thrilling to know he's out there somewhere. :)

Sherry, What 'stripe' do you mean? I've several images on photobucket, I'll link another image if you want I've several of them. Not all are very clear ones.

~Tina Marie

o

Can you see the little round areas in the vertical lines close to the body of these two male monarchs, Tina Marie? Those are the scent glands, and they're easier to see top side. Females don't have the scent glands, and they also have thicker lines than the males. It's hard to tell line thickness, though, unless you see a male and a female side by side.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o

Ah! I see! Thank you Sherry! :) I would never have known that. Haha! So awesome to have people like you around so willing to help. I appreciate that very much.

~Tina Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here