Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarch Butterfly eggs on milkweed video

Posted by tmc2009 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 14:56

Although it's good to have plants that butterflies feed off of, it's also important to have plants that their caterpillars feed on. I planted some milkweed in the yard but it does spread like crazy and I have been pulling it out but there are plants here and there. I noticed a Monarch breifly land on a couple of individual milkweed plants. I will see if these eggs hatch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch butterfly and eggs video

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarch Butterfly eggs on milkweed video

Those look like Monarch eggs to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finding and Raising Monarchs by Todd Stout

o

Monarchs are eaten by birds. Other insects have no problem with eating them. Prey mantis, dragonflies, spiders, assassin bugs, wasp, etc.

The deal is that the common milkweed is not that toxic. Swamp milkweed is more toxic. Tropical milkweed is even more toxic. As Monarchs age, they lose toxicity when they lose scales, too. Hawks and dragonflies that migrate eat them too during migration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Butterflies are Eaten by Birds

o

TMC, there are certain species of perennial milkweeds such as common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) that spread aggressively by runners once established. Others are much better behaved.

Try some tropical milkweed, Asclepias curassavica. It is an annual in any zone above 9 or 10, I think. Mine is not aggressive at all, very pretty too, and I wean all my hatchlings, feed 1st and 2nd instars on tropical, because of it's high toxicity. Then, they go to common because there just isn't enough tropical to feed the large instars.

Runmede I though that the the glycosides in Monarchs were toxic to all vertebrates? However, non-toxic to invertebrates.

o

Yes, non-toxic to invertebrates and also many birds still eat Monarchs. Even snakes eat butterflies without a problem, especially in the caterpillar stage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Predation at Overwintering Colonies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here