Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcronin_gw

video of swarming butterflies

mcronin
13 years ago

This is just a sample of the photos/video that will be included in our new video of Camelot-our one-acre butterfly sanctuary in SW VA.

My latest and greatest iMovie is now available on YouTube. You can view it at:

swarming butterflies in Elliston, VA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2lbnpDlJYw

Enjoy!

Comments (16)

• mcronin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought that I made the url HOT, but I obviously don't know how. Maybe someone who knows how can put a hot link on here.

mike

• runmede
    13 years ago

Nice. That's a lot of tigers and other butterflies. What's the name of the butterfly bush that they are using.

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Below where you are typing your message, type the link into "Optional Link". That's one way to do it.

Beautiful butterflies!

Here is a link that might be useful: butterflies swarming

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I could not be more jealous of all those tiger swallowtails. I don't think I've ever seen more than one at a time in my yard.
    I want to know the name of your butterfly bush too. Is that their favorite spot or does your whole yard look like that? Wow!

• jeanner
    13 years ago

Thank you for sharing that! It truly is amazing!

Just wondering, did you raise them?

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

Very interesting. There are quite a few butterfly swarms/butterfly fields posted on You Tube, I had no idea.

• mcronin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Several of you asked about the name of the butterfly bush. I THINK it is "pink delight." They were planted around 1996-7 and I've lost my early records of plantings in Camelot. I did not raise any of the butterflies. I tried to raise butterflies about 5 years ago but found it was too time consuming with everything else needed to keep our butterfly sanctuary in good condition. For example, we've had a 3-month drought and it takes me an average of 3 hours each day just to do selective hand watering and deadheading/weeding.

mike

• mcronin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christie,

I just noticed that I failed to respond to your question. This and one other butterfly bush near the top of our sloped garden are the favorites. We have 60 butterfly bushes, about 15 harlequin glory bower trees, 7 large beds of mexican sunflowers, 7 large beds of zinnias, hundreds of purple coneflowers, about 30 huge cup plants, many brazilian verbena and homestead purple verbena and verbena hastata and hundreds of other butterfly nectar and host plants. The butterlies visit most of these plants but not in the numbers you saw on the video. The most butterflies I've counted on any of my 10-minute walks through our one-acre butterfly sanctuary this year has been 135.

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

Video here

To post a link within your thread, here's the code --> replace the [ with
    [a href="insert your link here"] insert your text here [/a]

For instance, the hot link above is as follows:
    [a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2lbnpDlJYw";] Video here [/a]

Hope this helps ;)

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Thank you Mike! : )
    Pat yourself on the back for creating a butterfly sanctuary. The video is evidence that you're doing a good job.

• terrene
    13 years ago

Wow! That is fabulous! So many butterflies in your video. I don't think that is Pink Delight as it is a light pink color and your cultivar is much too blue. It's a beauty though, whatever it is.

Sounds like Camelot is a lot of work to maintain! Hope you get some rain soon.

• mcronin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

christie,runmede, and terrene,

The YouTube posting does not reveal the true color of the butterfly bush-except in the LAST FEW FRAMES. The true color is light pink. I have 7 different varieties of buddleia and butterflies go to all of them. The favorites seem to be determined more by LOCATION in our one-acre garden than color. The two butterfly bushes located at the TOP of our sloping garden that get the most sun (and happen to be pink) are the favorites. The next most popular this year are 3 profusion whites located in full sun.

mike

• bernergrrl
    13 years ago

CanNOT believe how many butterflies you have. You definitely have a sanctuary. Made me happy to see them!

• mcronin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bernergrrl,

THANKS. It made me very happy to make you happy seeing all the butterflies on one butterfly bush in our butterfly sanctuary. One of my greatest joys is experiencing the many positive reactions of visitors to our CAMELOT.

mike

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

My Pink Delight is getting swamped by another shrub and doesn't bloom as well as it used to. I rooted a couple cuttings (which didn't make it through the winter), but I had also layed a branch on the ground last year and dug that up this spring and planted it where I could look down at it from our balcony. When I watched your video again, I noticed yours is by your balcony/deck too. We'll both have an aerial view. The roots of mine will get some afternoon shade because of our retaining wall, but the top will be in full sun. It's small but already blooming and attracting a few butterflies.

• mcronin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christie,

Good luck with your pink delight. May we both enjoy butterflies swarming on our pink delights near our balcony. I actually watch our pink delight more often from our spa on our patio that you can see in the video. BTW, I didn't know that you could use layering to propagate buddleia. Thank for the tip.

mike

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County