Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Monarch mini-Bonanza!

docmom_gw
9 years ago

I went out to gather milkweed to feed the three stages of cats I'm raising. On one of the leaves, I found a newly hatched 1st instar! In addition, I visited my mother and sister today, and at both of their homes, I found at least 7 eggs and an early instar cat at each of their houses. One of my teenage daughter's friends had just asked me to teach her how to raise butterflies. So, now I have some butterflies to teach her on!

I feel so guilty that I've been lucky to find so many Monarch eggs and caterpillars, and so many of you on this forum have not found any this year. Keep up the efforts to support these wonderful creatures. I'll try to send them in your direction once they grow up.

Martha

Comments (7)

• Liz
    9 years ago

Congratulations! Enjoy your beautiful monarchs. And it's great you are passing along the love of butterflies to the next generation.

You should see the tithonia I grew from your seed. Boy, is it gorgeous--and the butterflies love it!
    Liz

• MittenGirl
    9 years ago

I have more eggs and cats than I physically know what to do with. I planted Milkweed last year and this year I have been getting female Monarchs coming through daily laying eggs. I have eggs on almost every leaf of some of the milkweed plants. I have found 10-20 1st instars, they are everywhere!

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just finished teaching Intro to Monarch Raising 101 for my teenager, and we found another egg and another 1st instar! This is very bittersweet for me. I had a sudden change at work, and I'm moving to Madison, WI by August 25th to start a new job. So, these cats will just be chrysalis stage. I'll have to leave the butterflies, as well as my kids, behind to carry on without me. My second husband will also stay behind to hold down the fort and get the house ready to sell. I'm so lucky to have him, and to be able to find a fantastic job on short notice. Everything will work out fine, but the transition is challenging. And I have to leave my beautiful butterfly garden behind and start all over, once I can buy a place and begin planting again. I'll be counting on all of you to keep me in touch with what's happening with the butterflies.

Martha

• bernergrrl
    9 years ago

Congrats Martha on the new job! It is hard to leave an established garden, one that you've worked hard on and then go to another place.

I took a year off basically from gardening just from the move, the loss of the garden, and little kids, but gradually I've been changing the tiny yard into a butterfly oasis and sharing what I've learned with anyone who wants to listen. In my new community, people tell me that they're raising butterflies and adding new plants to their gardens.

So, I guess in the long run/big picture, it's good we move and spread the love and knowledge of butterfly gardening.

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Congrats on all the new caterpillars and eggs, and most importantly, congrats on the new job :) I look forward to welcoming you to Madison.

John

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

John,
    I can't tell you what a comfort it is knowing you are there. It will be fun to meet. I arrive August 23, probably late in the day. Start work officially the 28th.

Martha

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Look forward to meeting as well. Look me up when you arrive in town.

John