Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelemiahisback

Duranta

shelemiahisback
11 years ago

Hi All,

I went looking for a new pot for my Plumeria and ended up home with a small tree in a pot that I later learned is great for butters and hummers. I'm thrilled since I have a LOT of butters already since I keep milkweed and penta and lots of other flowering plants.

The Tree (a Duranta, Sapphire Showers) was loaded with blooms and almost as soon as I got it home they started dropped and I'm not getting new ones. I'm in FL. I put it on my front porch where it gets morning sun. I believe it was getting morning sun where it was at the landscape store because it was on their front porch facing East.

Have I done something wrong?

This first pic is from when I first brought it home 2 weeks ago.

Thanks!

Shele

Comments (12)

• shelemiahisback
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This pic is from today. :-(

• shelemiahisback
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a close up

• Tom
    11 years ago

The leaves look okay. From the picture the soil looks a bit dry.

The way they sell these plants is to make sure they are in full bloom. Soon after they stop blooming. This may be what has happened to your plant. I would deadhead, make sure it is well watered and see what happens.

• shelemiahisback
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was afraid I had watered it too much. :-) Is this a plant that should be watered everyday or wait til the soil dries?

I'll try the dead heading and see if that helps. I kinda wondered if it was just past it flowering season.

Thanks!

• Tom
    11 years ago

I often have problems with plants in pots. Usually they need to be watered much more than those in the ground. Yours may well be pot-bound. If so, it will need to be watered almost every day.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

In general, that large a plant in that small a pot will be temperamental with watering. If the foliage remains stable for some weeks, then repot in something larger, but don't stress the plant just yet.

• NaturesFolly
    11 years ago

I found this info for you..

Here is a link that might be useful: Duranta - Sapphire Showers

• shelemiahisback
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you guys sooooo much! It's probably not pot bound quite yet, but I'll keep an eye on that. I wasn't watering it enough. I started watering it almost everyday and that helped a LOT. You guys were a huge help! Thanks!

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

Duranta can be grown in the ground in Zone 8 & above. It is also easy to propogate with softwood cuttings & rooting hormone!
    I have a couple of pots of White duranta & have to water it daily or it wilts. It likes to be moist but not boggy.
    You could plant it in Zone 10 & it would probably be evergreen for you!!!
    Good luck with it...it is a beautiful plant that hummingbirds really love here in North Texas!
    Lila

• runmede
    11 years ago

What I've been doing with this heat, heat and potted plants is putting a plastic plant saucer under the pot. The saucer catches the excess water that drains out of the pot and keeps the soil moist. BUT, add a 1/4 ring of BT for mosquitoes to that saucer once a month. Plant saucers can be great places for mosquitoes to breed.

I also recommend a time released fertilizer.

• fighting8r
    11 years ago

Yes in my experience this is a very easy plant but it does flower in cycles. Blooms all over, then done for awhile, then again. The dropped blooms will turn into yellow gold berries but the sooner you deadhead the sooner new blooms come on. The pollinators really do love them, and so do I!
    BTW I've started a few just bu putting a cutting in some dirt and totally forgetting about it. Very easy to start. Yours is pretty!

• torinod
    11 years ago

It's so beautiful ,good for u .

There Is No Signature,So I Made One

What The Shawl Represents!