Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Black Cherry Cats

Posted by misssherry Z8/9SE MS (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 15:56

When I got some fresh cherry leaves for my red-spotted purple cats, I didn't notice the cherry dagger moth caterpillar on it. After I got it in the cage, I saw it and started to put it back onto a cherry tree, but changed my mind - I'll raise the moth myself. Red-spotted purples co-exist on cherry trees with many other leps - tiger swallowtails, cherry dagger moths, cecropia moths, tent caterpillars, etc. It reminded me of what a great host tree Prunus serotina is!

photo CherryCats_zpsb1891bab.jpg

Here's a close-up of the little cherry dagger moth -

photo CherryDaggerMothCat_zps4abf9982.jpg

The last instar for cherry dagger moths looks very different from the one in the picture, so I'll get to see that one in the flesh.

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Black Cherry Cats

Very interesting! I look forward to seeing the follow-up pictures. And the depth of your knowledge always impresses me!
Liz

o
RE: Wild Black Cherry Cats

Sherry, I once posted on the Florida Garden Forum asking what people thought was the best tree for wild life in their area. I stated that I thought it was the Prunus Serotina. It is listed as a host for a bunch of butterflies, including the red-spotted purple, tigers and other butterflies and moths. Also, many birds enjoy the cherries when they ripen.

I have to say, however, that my tree, which is now over forty-feet high does not seem to get many tigers and I can never recall seeing a red-spotted purple. I also have a huge Sweet Bay Magnolia that doesn't seem to attract many tigers. Come to think of it my Spicebush does't attract many spicebush butterflies either. I keep looking for cats and don't see any.

I do have a fine crop of wasps, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here