Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a dark form Tiger Swallowtail?

Posted by terryr z5a IL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 15:57

This dark..uh..I don't know, keeps flitting into the yard. S/he keeps flitting in though, with a yellow Tiger Swallowtail, making me think it's a dark form Tiger Swallowtail? Today was the first time I have ever been able to get a photo of it! They twirled together, then separated and went to different Eupatoriums to drink from, so I couldn't get a picture of them together. Only separate. Here they are

the dark one

Photobucket

And the yellow Tiger Swallowtail

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a dark form Tiger Swallowtail?

Yes, Terry, that's a dark form female tiger swallowtail.
Those pictures are great!
Sherry

o

Yes.

* Yours has yellow crescents along the submargin of the hindwing. The Spicebush female has green crescents.
* Black Swallowtails have second row of yellow spots on forewing and hindwing in the postdiscal area. Yours lacks that second row.
* Pipevine males also have blue on the hindwing, but it is iridescent, and instead of crescents there is a "dotted line" of white marks.
* It "looks like" a Tiger: Very big, blue extends all the way into the body, etc. :)

Nice catch!
Jeff

o

Woo-hoo!! I'm dancing, I'm dancing...lol..!

Sherry, thank you! The female was really hard to get a good shot of! I don't know what she was up to, but she seemed to be pretty skittish.

Jeff, thank you so much for that information! Now I just have to remember it all! :D

I want to show you this...it looks like all the photos I've seen of a butterfly..umm...I can't remember the word. Laying eggs. :)

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here