Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Just in one corner of my veggie garden.....

catherinet
10 years ago

There's a corner in my veggie garden where a few common milkweed have grown in the past. This year, they really popped up like crazy. I had to pull some out so they wouldn't shade the cucumbers and tomatoes. But......I left about 8-9 and they grew 8-9' tall. I roughly counted the developing pods and there are at least 130+.
But.......not a single monarch!

Comments (8)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Ugh! Don't we wish a monarch had found it!!

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Wow. That is terrible. I have had years when I had tons of potted milkweed ready, and not one Monarch showed up. I just never know if or when I will see them. Sorry.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Catherinet,
    When those pods start to get yellow and dry, or start to split, pick them and put them in a paper bag to dry. Label them as far as type of milkweed and region of the country, and you can donate the seed to Monarch Watch or Journey North. They will use them to help replant milkweed in areas that have been wiped clear of milkweed by herbicides and development. Just try to make sure there are none of those milkweed beetles that eat the seeds right out of the pods.

Martha

• catherinet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Martha........I was hoping to do just that, but wasn't sure where to send them.
    After I put them in paper bags, can I keep them in the house to dry?

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

You can also offer seed for trade on this forum or the Seed Exchange forum.
    I put a posting on this forum and got lots of takers for my Ice Ballet White Swamp Milkweed) x Cinderella (or so they call Swamp Milkweed in the stores and garden ctrs). I intend to collect and send syriaca and tuberosa seeds as well. Also, you can hook up c The Wild Ones, a group dedicated to saving various pollinators, namely the Monarch this critical year. Seeds that have not been cold stratified can be stored at room temp in the house until sent, if sent in the Fall.
    Martha, I know what you mean about those darn beetles, too. I've had a slough of them, and aphids, too.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks leafhead!

• terrene
    10 years ago

Another option is to collect your own seed pods, and then take a walk about your property or other natural areas, scattering seed as you go. I like to do this along field edges when out walking, especially on a windy day when the pods are starting to fluff out. Also, when I come across a patch of A. syriaca that has gone to seed - I'll grab the pods and scatter - figure the seed has a better chance of germinating somewhere that way.

Course there lots of milkweed around here, and some nice stuff in my garden, and I haven't seen a single Monarch. :(

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I think the way to address the Monarch problem is to focus on bottleneck regions hit by wildfire, drought and milkweed exclusive farming and roadside maintainance practices. Replanting these vital links in their migration may restore a normal flight pattern.
    Neighborhood restoration is also vital, as they'll need a replete supply if and when they return in coming years.
    Plant, plant, plant!!
    Gardeners, back yards and roadsides in Texas are the US/Northern Mexico connection. They have also seen drought conditions and high temps which have killed off a lot of milkweed. I believe restoring this major waystation is key to the Monarchs' migration route.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus