Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red-Banded Hairstreak

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 16:35

I think this is probably the best picture I've ever gotten of a red-banded hairstreak. They're so tiny, you have to get the camera up close to them to see anything, and with this $100 point and shoot camera of mine, the conditions have to be just right to get a crisp picture.
It's on lantana. We had a thread about our favorite nectar plant in the spring, and I said it was lantana. That hasn't changed a bit! Today I saw a titan shinx moth, three red-banded hairstreaks, numerous skippers, a giant swallowtail, a gulf frit, a male tiger swallowtail, a common checkered skipper, a pipevine swallowtail, a spicebush swallowtail, a cloudless sulphur, several sleepy oranges, and several Carolina satyrs on my big lantana bush at one time. Nothing really beats it!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red-Banded Hairstreak

Fantastic photo!

o

Conditions must have been "just right" when you shot this one!

Bob

o

Beautiful. I'm seeing more Red Banded Hairstreaks this year. But, the Olive Hairstreak number are still low.

o

I'd be happy with any number of any green hairstreak, Runmede! :)
Sherry

o

Beautiful! That grey and pink together is just lovely. My big hairstreak find this year was a hickory. Although I was told I would have to dissect it to confirm. Sometimes I wonder about this hobby/obsession of mine.
Nice photo,
Elisabeth

o

wow. beautiful-great shot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here