Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Red-Banded Hairstreak

MissSherry
12 years ago

I think this is probably the best picture I've ever gotten of a red-banded hairstreak. They're so tiny, you have to get the camera up close to them to see anything, and with this $100 point and shoot camera of mine, the conditions have to be just right to get a crisp picture.

It's on lantana. We had a thread about our favorite nectar plant in the spring, and I said it was lantana. That hasn't changed a bit! Today I saw a titan shinx moth, three red-banded hairstreaks, numerous skippers, a giant swallowtail, a gulf frit, a male tiger swallowtail, a common checkered skipper, a pipevine swallowtail, a spicebush swallowtail, a cloudless sulphur, several sleepy oranges, and several Carolina satyrs on my big lantana bush at one time. Nothing really beats it!

{{gwi:528469}}
Sherry

Comments (6)

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Fantastic photo!

• bob_71
    12 years ago

Conditions must have been "just right" when you shot this one!

Bob

• runmede
    12 years ago

Beautiful. I'm seeing more Red Banded Hairstreaks this year. But, the Olive Hairstreak number are still low.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd be happy with any number of any green hairstreak, Runmede! :)
    Sherry

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Beautiful! That grey and pink together is just lovely. My big hairstreak find this year was a hickory. Although I was told I would have to dissect it to confirm. Sometimes I wonder about this hobby/obsession of mine.
    Nice photo,
    Elisabeth

• jilliebean9700
    12 years ago

wow. beautiful-great shot