Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irma_stpete

Help! Butterflys have lost their vines

Irma_StPete
10 years ago

Hello, I'm visiting from Florida Gardening, hoping you can advise me. I know very little about butterflys, but I do plant to attract them. Currently having the most ever zebra longwings swarming my nectar plants (firebush, esp.) since the constant rains in July. Meanwhile, they have lost most of their host plant -- a red passionflower vine planted about 8 years ago that had traveled up a tree on my lot line and across my neighbor's yard where it, along with a companion dutchman's pipe vine which hosted swallowtails, formed a multi-strand canopy from treetop to treetop. Neighbor finally had this vine canopy cut down in July. I can see pipe vine in my tree top, and assume there is also passion vine still there. Despite GW warnings about passion vines having numerous volunteer plants, I have never seen any. The dutchman's pipe vine of same age which has supported swallowtails for all these years has apparently just this year (how fortunate!) seeded itself under a frequently watered bush 10 yards away; its little heartshaped leaves had caterpillars in July, so I'm not so concerned about the swallowtails finding a home (maybe I should be, as I'm not noticing them about).

My questions are: My Florida butterfly book says zebras place their eggs near the tips of new growth; if the remaining vine is inadequate to support the large numbers of zebras, will the zebras find their way to the other side of my yard where I have a new passionvine down low and in only semi-sun? (Should I relocate that one to full sun or near the nectar plants?) Should I get some vines now and set them out near the original vine until I can get them planted... do the vines need to be high to attract the zebras? When during their lifetime do the zebras lay eggs and do they repeat this?

If this were cooler weather (not 90+ degrees here with high humidity 24/7) I would rush out and buy vines and restock my yard, trying several solutions. This is why I'm asking!

Thanks for any suggestions or info for better understanding these butterflys and their host plants.

Irma in St. Petersburg

Comments (3)

Sponsored