Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking fo some host plant seeds

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 16:36

I hope nobody minds my posting here as I haven't had any luck on the seed exchange. I'm looking for A. macrophylla and tomentosa seeds as well as buttonbush seeds. I have a few passifloras and a few different asclepias seeds as well as other seed varieties. I'll also have A. fimbriata seeds as soon as pods ripen. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking fo some host plant seeds

I've got some real big A. tomentosas, but I've never gotten the first seed pod. :) 'Plenty of flowers, but they never get pollinated. I'm going to try Sandy's hand pollination method next spring.
I'm keeping my eye on my buttonbush for seeds, but with all the spent flower balls on the big bush, I'm not seeing what look like seeds. I'll keep looking, though.
Sherry

o

Karyn, I was trying to look at your trade list, but saw you hadn't posted anything on it.

I have buttonbush seeds I got in a trade here...the germination rate was low but I got the two plants I was hoping for and they have both grown 3-4 feet tall in year 1.

I would be happy to trade. Please let me know exactly what you have that attracts butterflies. Thanks, Tony

o

Thanks Sherry, appreciate it.

Hi Tony. I'm terrible about keeping my haves/wants list current so I don't post one. I don't have much besides some asclepias and VA Snakeroot that's hardy to zone 4. If you had poor germination a year ago I'm guessing the viability is even less now, especially if the seeds haven't been stored in the fridge, but thanks for the offer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here