Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

20+ eggs this morning!

Mary Leek
9 years ago

As some of you know, I had an attic fire earlier this year. I've been living in a lease house in another town, waiting for my home to be repaired. I am finally back home.

Went out this morning to wade through the mess that used to be my garden and lo and behold, I discovered monarch eggs on my milkweed. I'm not certain exactly how many but well over 20, which I brought in and will attempt to raise.

I found some tiny, just hatched cats one day while visiting the house but had to bring something back to put them in. The next morning all I could find was one little guy. I took him back with me, raised him and he was a perfect little male. That was maybe three weeks ago. Now I've found a treasure trove of eggs this morning. I've only seen one Monarch all summer besides the little guy I raised. Did not see Mama Monarch that left me these eggs but if she leaves more, I'll attempt to save and raise all I can find.

This year I have a lot of Asclepias Fruticosa (aka Gomphocarpus Fruticosus, Swan Plant) to use for food. I discovered eggs on this variety, on new growth on common and on Asclepias speciosa (Showy Milkweed). I looked over the Tuberosa but didn't find any eggs on it, although I have in past years. My incarnata and A variegata are through, with no leaves left on them. I think I prefer the Asclepias Fruticosa better than Oscar for my area of the country. It doesn't grow quite as tall and blooms a lot more than Oscar ever did for me. There are at least a couple of seed pods and if they mature and anyone is interested, I will share the seed of this variety until it's gone. Will post when it is available.

I have a few pots of Tropical but it didn't hold up well because of inattentive watering this summer.

Will post some photos once the little eggs hatch.

Mary

Comments (3)

Sponsored