Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_philosopher_

vines that attract butterflies

philosopher
13 years ago

hi--i have a long, tall fence that abuts my driveway. there is about one foot of clearance between the driveway and the fence. this year, i planted a bunch of annuals that butterflies love, and we have had a slew of them all summer, even in our urban setting.

the problem with the annuals is that they are flopping over onto our driveway and getting smushed by the cars, etc.

so, for next year, instead of annuals i would like to try a butterfly-friendly vine (annual, biennial or perennial) along that fence. i know very little about vining plants that butterflies like, so i would really appreciate your wisdom.

the spot is full sun from about june through september.

thank you!

Comments (4)

• weed30 St. Louis
    13 years ago

Passion Vine and Pipe vine are two that I know of. They are host plants for several butterflies, meaning they will lay their eggs on them and the caterpillars that hatch will eat the leaves. If you're not looking for a caterpillar buffet, then choose vines that will attract the butterflies for nectaring.

Be sure and research the habits of the vine you plant, because some are VERY invasive. Trumpet vine is one.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Mexican Flame Vine is an annual, but a big butterfly attracting nectar vine with bright orange daisy-like flowers.

Cypress vine, another annual that you can grow by throwing out some seeds on the ground, is another vine that butterflies like, especially Cloudless Sulphurs. Comes in red, white, and pink.

Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) and Bignonia (Crossvine; not as invasive as Campsis radicans aka Trumpet Vine) are perennials, but check the hardiness zones since you live in zone 5a.

Susan

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

I have 5 different vines growing on my fence. I planted the Cardinal Climber Vine,the Red Cypress Vine, and the Trumpet Honeysuckle Vine for the Hummingbirds. The Red Cypress does get some butterfly attention, but I don't know that I would recommend it. It's one of those vines that "takes over the world"! I have a nice Black-eyed Susan Vine which does get a little butterfly attention. My 5th vine is a Passionvine, (Passiflora Incarnata)and it is new to my yard this year. I have seen Gray Hairstreaks on it, and I am waiting for the Gulf Fritillaries to come and lay eggs on it.

• imabirdnut
    13 years ago

Here in North Texas, I have the Cardinal Climber & the Cypress vine both in Red & the hummers love it as well as the Cloudless Sulphurs. I have several kinds of clematis on my fence & a trellis that bloom in the spring but also have an Autumn Clematis that is already starting to bloom & is covered with white sweet smelling blooms. They are hardy here but not sure of your zone. I have Blue passionvine (Passiflora caerula) that the Gulf Frit cats devour but also have a Maypop passionvine (incarta) that they all but ignore! I did see a Varigated Frittilary butterfly for the first time this year that was all over it but she seemed to be "shooting blanks" while ovipositing. I would suggest getting seeds for Red Runner Bean & Butterfly Pea Vine (Clitoria ternatea)...they are both host plants for several butterflies that use legumes for host plants. Most are annuals here in North Texas. One vine that also is a host that is hardy in your area is Chinese Wisteria (Wisteria sinensis). Hope these suggestions help! Good Luck!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!