Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

How long?

mboston_gw
12 years ago

I found this Tersa Sphinx caterpillar on my pool screen. I know it will go into the ground to make its coccoon but how long then does it take to eclose? I am wondering if I should put it in dirt in a box for my grandson to observe.

{{gwi:528710}}

Comments (7)

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Nice picture.
    This bug is only single brooded in the far north, but can have several broods in the far south. I don't know if in MA it is only single brooded or if you might get two broods a season. If single the pupa wouldn't eclose until next year, if double probably later this season. If the later it's pupa will only remain under about 2 weeks before it wiggles to the surface and ecloses. HTH
    Larry

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live in Central Florida so I am assuming it will be in just a few weeks. I did bring it in and put it in a large plastic tupperware bowl full of loose dirt and then put that container in one of my butterfly enclosures. It seems to be starting to make its webbing but on the floor of the enclosure not in the dirt. I am hoping I haven't interrupted its cycle too much and it will do what it should anyway.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

It's been a while since I raised any tersas, Mary, but, as I recall, they emerge in a matter of weeks, maybe ?3 weeks.
    Congrats on your cute cat!
    Sherry

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Mary,
    Too long away from the forum I guess... don't know where I got MA from. Sorry. In FL there is plenty of time for it to eclose, mate and run another brood through at least, maybe two before the last one overwinters. I wouldn't woory about disturbing it before it was ready to pupate.

• fighting8r
    12 years ago

In my limited experience with these guys, it's been about the same as the rustic sphinx, which is like 3 weeks. But we did have one overwinter, but he pupated very late in the year as I recall. Once you are sure he has pupated you can even get his pupa out of the dirt to observe more closely. The rustic we just released, we had in an aquarium eating porterweed cuttings, with a small-ish pot of loose dirt and bunch of dried-up leaves on top. When he burrowed down to pupate he pushed almost all of the dirt out through the bottom holes! It was funny going out and finding the aquarium suddenly with piles of dirt on the bottom where he'd pushed it out. Fun to watch for sure.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, my Tersa Sphinx Moth emerged safely on Friday, so it took just a little over two weeks to happen. I was afraid that I had disrupted his cycle by bringing him inside. He did not go into the soil mixture I had for him, instead he made webbing on the side and bottom of the cage then kinda made a coccoon. It didn't look complete to me. I knew it was still alive as it twitched on one end when I picked it up and then on Thursday, it looked darker in color. I figured either it died or it was going to eclose. Friday morning, there it was! I kept it inside till my Grandson Asher came over and we released it in the early evening.

Here are some pics.
    {{gwi:528712}}

{{gwi:528714}}

{{gwi:528716}}

• Ament
    12 years ago

Just beautiful. Awesome job and great of you to introduce your grandson to this. I just love it when folks do this. :)

~Tina

Sponsored