Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernergrrl

Need Variegated Frit info

bernergrrl
9 years ago

Hi all,

Came home to seeing a VF lay eggs on violets in our alley.

I can't find any eggs though I'm looking at plants I know she landed on.

Can anyone help me with a search image? Quick search shows most of the time they lay them on top of the leaf; any other info that can help me find eggs?

These are common violets.

Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guess if anyone can tell me how visible they are, where they are usually laid (on top?), etc that might help me. From the web, the seem to look a little like a Monarch eggs, but are they quite small?

Was such a surprise to see her and see her laying eggs.

Thanks!

• rickinla
    9 years ago

I am far from an expert, but I think they are tiny and white and layed on top of the leaves.

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rickinla! They must be really, really tiny b/c I can't find any though it looked like she was egg-laying.

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

This is the only picture I have of a variegated frit egg, Bernergrrl. They lay their eggs randomly on the top side of the leaf -

{{gwi:481137}}

They're hard to find. Unlike gulf frits, who lay a lot of eggs either all at once, or over a period of days, even weeks, they only lay a few at the time, at least here.

Sherry

• Corgikarma
    9 years ago

Hope you find some eggs, they have the coolest looking chrysalis!

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally found one--it was hard because the leaf was so beat up. It's in a crack in my driveway, and I probably drive over it all the time. Am so glad I saw her laying eggs.

Now, I'm not sure whether to allow them to grow in such an area--but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have seen her. Who knows. I'll probably pull them from there now. Have been checking other violets and don't see any so far.

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a hatchling Variegated Fritillary caterpillar! I dug up the plant and even with the shallow roots (it was in a crevice) it is surviving, but as you can see the leaf is not the best.

Experimenting with a violet leaf in a water pick--has anyone done this and does it work? I tried a leaf in a plastic container, but it wilted pretty quickly.

Here is a pic of the egg on the beat-up violet leaf just in case anyone would like to see what an egg looks like on a beat-up leaf. It is to the left of the central vein right in the middle of the leaf.

I am pretty sure she laid a few more eggs, but I can't find them. Maybe in a few days I can find caterpillars.

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got a decent pic of the hatchling!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm