Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving or starting a butterfly bush from cuttings?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 17:07

I have a volunteer butterfly bush that grew up right next to my little lotus bog (300 Rubbermaid stocktank in the ground).
Its a beautiful bush (about 8' tall) and attracts tons of butterflies and is real close to our deck, so its nice seeing the butterflies so close. But......it ends up covering up about half of the lotus bog. I would love to move it, but its several years old. Is there a way of starting a new cutting from it and growing it somewhere else?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving or starting a butterfly bush from cuttings?

No worries, just dig up a reasonable sized root ball and replant. Just cut the branches down to about 18" and it should be fine. I've relocated a number of them and never had a problem.

o

i've had a few that i dug had a long tap like root and they were only 4-5 ft. tall, so make sure and get deep enough and get the long roots.

o

I move plants and bushes all the time! I am very poor at space management so I have gotten very good at moving plants and bushes. The key is water, water, water. And that includes filling the hole with water twice before planting - that was my grandmothers expert advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here