Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernergrrl

Brown Spots on Chrysalis

bernergrrl
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I think one of the chrysalises has OE, and it's right next to one that is just getting to ready to eclose--it's turning the normal color.

I'm going to remove the affected one--it's turning brown at the top where it's attached to, and it's turning black around the wings--I can see the color of the wings, but it's smaller than the other one, and it's also younger.

Should I swab that area with a little bleach or alcohol wipes, or is just too late?

Is this OE? Or that nasty virus--it doesn't look like the pic in the FAQ, but it might eventually.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's the bummed out me again--I just read MrsPaul's post from last year, and she mentioned these "dewdrops" on the green chrysalis. It rang a bell for me because I had seen those dewdrop like things on this one; I just thought that perhaps I saw the chrysalis in a very early stage, a stage I'd not seen before, not surprising since this is only my second season raising the cats.

I'm off to go pull it off.

Here are a couple of pics--probably didn't match the FAQ pic because it's in an early stage of the disease, so I'll post these just in case it might help anyone out.

To see diff between normal darkening (I hope) and the one with the BD:
    {{gwi:529031}}

And here is a close up:
    {{gwi:529032}}

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Yep, looks like a bad one to me, BG! So sorry. There is another new person on the forum from Vermont. She was wondering if the Monarchs were there yet. I told her you had reported them in New Hampshire (since you're neighboring states).

BTW, I have been to Manchester and Merrimac before. I loved New Hampshire. Went to see the gold-domed capital building, and they were having some kind of downtown street festival at the time. There was a guy there "wearing" a python around his neck, I remember that. And, there was this cool little boutique shop in the main street that had an oversized T-shirt that was black and white with tiger and lion faces on it. I just HAD to have it. This was in 1992, and I STILL wear that T-shirt to bed at night! LOL! I had some of the best scrod I've ever eaten at a little restaurant in Merrimac (I think that was the name of the town - right on the river). Also love the White Mountains and the shopping there! Since you're a resident, you probably don't even go there, huh? I guess it is kind of touristy. But, I loved NH and Vermont, too. It's so close to drive to every state around there. Here in Oklahoma (and Texas) you have to drive forever to get anywhere.

Susan

• tdogmom
    16 years ago

Looks bad...I'd carefully take the chrysalis and clean around the area with a Clorox wipe, and flush the thing.

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ugh, I just wrote a lot, but I must have hit something, and the message is gone.

The second chrysalis bit the dust too. It should have been eclosed this morning. Sigh, a somber way to begin the morning. I'll wipe the area with clorox; I put them in the freezer--flushing makes more sense now that you mention it. When I took the second one off, a little of the hind end came off and a little bit of black stuff was sticking out--did I release the virus?

Susan--You're right about the White Mountains, LOL. I love near Mt Monadnock and haven't been up that since we can't take out dog. There are plenty of other dog friendly hikes to take, although he's getting a little past his serious hiking days. I live right above the MA border, and Boston is 1 1/2 hour away, which isn't too bad. Glad that you liked Manchester and Merrimac. NH is kind of cool in the way that there are some somewhat major cities, and then half hour outside you're deep in rural land for the most part.

I wonder where in VT she lives? If north, then I'm not sure, but if she's south, I would think they would have them. The numbers don't get very high until later in September. Since the chrysalises that are dying are from the first brood; I did get to release a healthy one a few days ago though.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths