Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Underwing moth for ID

Posted by birding_nut 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 17:25

I know this is the butterfly forum, and I cross posted this to the insect forum, but wanted to see if anyone can help me ID this underwing moth? It has a bright pattern on the underwing, but I couldn't get a picture before it closed up its wings. I live in WA on the eastside of the Cascade Mountains amongst shrub-steppe habitat but within 5 miles of a major river/riparian system. The pic was taken of the moth on my screen door. If a pic is needed of the underwing, I could try to contain it to get it to spread its wings...but I didn't want to disturb it. I went through a page of underwing moths on the internet, trying to click and view those in my area, but none quite look like it...of course, I can't reliable remember what the underwing pattern looks like.

Thanks!

BN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Underwing moth for ID

Nice picture of what appears to be a Catocala hermia to me. This species is wide spread in the midwest/west, so is found in WA. Not knowing how true the colors are in your picture, it's also possible its a Catacala luciana, also widespread in the west, as they are very similar to C hermia. The dorsal forwings of C. hernia tends to be grayer, those of C. luciana browner, and what color the basal area is of the dordal hindwing is another key. In C. hermina its a deep pink, in C. lucina orange. Both of their larva feed on Populus (cottonwood) and Salix (willow), so your proximity to a raparian habitat supports them being in your area.
HTH,
Larry

o
RE: Unknown Underwing moth for ID

Thanks, Larry. From your description, it may be hermia as the underwings were bright pink. I did some more searching on the internet and thought it may be C. aholibah. However, looking at pics of hermia, that looks more like it as the underwings were bright pink with a wide white trailing edge. Also, aholibah from what I read prefer oaks which are rarer here accept for ornamentals (red oaks). Thank you so much for your help! Also, the color was uniform gray, not as brown as in the picture...when it landed on the side of our house, which is gray, it blended in quite well.

BN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here