Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly ID's

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 17:29

I was at a butterfly exhibit at the local nature center and couldn't ID these beauties. I assume they are native to tropical/sub-tropical climates.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly ID's

The first is a large tree nymph/Idea leuconoe.
The second is a great egg-fly butterfly/Hypolimnas bolina.
I think the third is probably Parides photinus/pink-spotted cattleheart, but there are MANY tropical swallowtails with that coloring.
And the fourth is a malachite/Siproeta stelenes.
Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Parides photinus

o

Wow. Really pretty butterflies! Thanks for sharing!

o

Thanks for the ID's. There were so many beautiful butterflies but that Hypolimnas bolina was so striking with those iridescent blue & white spots. I thought the Parides photinus looked like a swallowtail but I never realized just how many types of swallowtails there are in the Americas!

I also saw the coolest looking caterpillar, the Hickory Horned Devil in it's final instar. I've never seen the caterpillar before nor have I seen the Regal moth it turns into. Both are quite beautiful.

o

Was it Brookside Botanical Gardens in Wheaton, Maryland? That is an incredible exhibit this year. It runs until Sept. 19. If you are in the area, you've got to go.

I have been giving them Baltimore Checkerspot stock to display for education.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wings of Fancy

o

That's it. I've been going to Brookside and Wheaton Regional since I was a little kid. It's only about 20 minutes from my house. This year the butterfly exhibit was especially nice. It's nothing compared to Butterfly World in FL but for a small exhibit they had a very nice variety this year.

o

@runmede: Thank you! I always enjoy their Balt. Checkerspot exhibit when I go.

Jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here