Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my BST eclose yet this summer?

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 17:42

I have 10 BST all about to pupate or recently pupated. I'm in western lower peninsula Michigan, zone 5. Are these going to eclose yet this season, or should I expect to hang on to them all winter? I don't know what the typical cut off time is. TIA.

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my BST eclose yet this summer?

"Flight
Two broods; early May and then in late July/August with the adults flying throughout August. A third brood may occur in the southern counties (Ebner, 1970)."

It depends on how cold your area gets. If it is warm in September, they might emerge in August. Some years areas get an additional brood, if the weather allows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Swallowtail, Papilio polyxenes

o

I have 1 now that has yet to hatch. Last year I had one hatch in October.

o

Thanks for the responses.

Martha

o

Martha, I had some Black Swallowtail cats pupate last summer in July, and the adults did not eclose until April of this year. I overwintered them in my garage. You just never know with those crazy Swallowtails. They eclose when they are good and ready. Don't give up on them! ;o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here