Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom123_gw

First Zebra Longwing

Tom
12 years ago

Saw my first of the season today. I was very excited. Usually they are here by the end of June, but I guess the freezes and the dry weather really kept them down south.

If you haven't seen any they are very pretty, but they have a different flight pattern than most butterflies. They kind of flitter slowly along like they haven't a care in the world. They like the shade, in fact they lay their eggs on passion vines that are mostly in the shade.

I live in Central Florida, by the way. I have had groups of ten or more in the past form a swirling cloud on my property. It will be a while before that happens again.

This was the last major large butterfly that I was missing this year. Hopefully they will multiply quickly. I have lots of passion vines for them to lay their eggs and plenty of flowers in bloom.

Hope the rest of you see some, but if you are too far north I guess they won't make it to you.

Comment (1)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Congrats, Tom!

I've seen zebra longwings many times when visiting my daughter in Tampa. Actually, I saw most of them when we went down to Sarasota to a nursery in the country, but that figures - rural areas seem to suit all butterflies best. You're right about their flight pattern. It looks a lot like the monarch flight to me.

I sure hope you get some eggs! Let us know if you do.

Sherry

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH