Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berger123_gw

Need help with a garden

BERGER123
10 years ago

Hi
I put in a garden and in the garden I have very sad looking Mexican sunflowers some rue and one Brazilian verbena a butterfly weed dill and fennel one cosmos and a lavender. Is there and thing else I should put in? Anything I should take out? Three of my six BST have made a chrysalis will they over winter? I put the garden in so my mom does not have to keep having me put plants that she does not like:)

Comments (5)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Here are some suggestions to beef up your butterfly population...
    Try Swamp Milkweed for those low sunny areas.
    Also, Pearly Everlasting and Pussytoes (Antennaria) will bring in those American Ladies.
    Liatris, Aster and Goldenrod will fuel the Monarchs on their way South.
    Wood Nettles will attract Red Admirals and Commas.
    Lots of Violets in shady spots will attract and sustain Frittilaries.
    For nectar, you can't beat Salvia, Veronica and Joe-Pye weed.
    For annuals, try Zinnias and a few more Cosmos.
    A butterfly bush or two completes the garden.
    Try placing some overripe bananas in a raised dish and see what you can attract.
    As for those chrysalides, they will probably overwinter this late in the game, esp with this cool weather we're having lately. If they don't eclose in the next three weeks, they should be stored in an unheated garage until Spring.
    Good luck and happy butterflying:)

• BERGER123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is veroncia? I have two very small swamp milkweed which is the best dill ,fennel , parsley or Queen Anne's lace for black swallowtails?
    Thanks for all the help:)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

GREAT list leafhead! I am currently scouring the landscape for violets.. for host plants.

thanks again.

SCG

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Thanx SCG. Moving up here from South Florida is definitely a learning experience for me...
    Berger123,
    Fennel is best for Black Swallowtails. It grows huge and the cats LOVE it!! Golden Alexander is perennial and will work too.
    Veronica is a perennial related to Hyssop and blooms in the Spring and Summer. It is hardy to Zone 3. Many butterflies flock to it, but the Swamp Milkweed will capture the attention of any Swallowtail or Monarch.
    Phlox will work as well c Swallowtails.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Berger,
    You will never reach a point where you have everything you need in your butterfly garden. Some plants will do better some years than others. Some years the butterflies will arrive early or late and the flowers that should be blooming for them won't be. Some years one type of butterfly will be far more abundant than other types. So, the more variety and the more constantly overlapping blooms you can provide, the more likely it is that you'll have what they need in any particular year. Anything you plant will benefit the web of nature in ways we can't measure, but I would plan on adding new plants and expanding the numbers of the plants you have bit by bit every year. Gardening is an ongoing process, a journey to be enjoyed each step of the way.

Martha

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!