Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scorpgirl29

Need Some Advice From The Experts

scorpgirl24
12 years ago

I bought a fennel plant about 3 weeks ago with some swallowtail cats already on it.

I transplanted the fennel and put a butterfly net on top of the pot.

Well, those little buggers are getting huge. The largest is probably 1 1/2" long. There seems to be enough fennel, for now. There are 4 that are larger and one that is still tiny. I am a newbie at this and need a bit of advice.

Do the cats need a small stick to attach themselves or will they use a jute string that is surrounding the bamboo stakes and fennel plant?

I am prepared to buy another plant, if they need the food. I can place a small stick from one bamboo stake to another at that point.

Please advise me as to what to do next. After losing 13 cats on some dill earlier in the season, I learned that the net was the saving grace.

Here are some pics.

Any advice help is appreciated!

Jo

{{gwi:529357}}

{{gwi:529358}}

{{gwi:529359}}

{{gwi:529360}}

{{gwi:529361}}

Comments (15)

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Well, I'm just a beginner, but most likely they will simply pupate on one of the stems of the plant. Maybe on the string if they find it, or even on the netting. You can always put something else in there for them, they may use it or they may not.
    HTH

• scorpgirl24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you ladobe.
    Anyone is an expert compared to me!! I am hoping they pupate without needing any intervention. I'm amazed at the process, but I have to confess...caterpillars generally creep me out!
    I am an avid gardener and encounter many creepy-crawlies. I can handle most of them, but caterpillars are one thing that give me the willies! I think it stems from the gypsy moth invasion when I was a kid. Oh yeah, and the time when I almost had a hornworm in my hair while picking tomatoes!!
    That being said, I am loving watching these cats!! They grow larger every day!!
    What is a general timeline from caterpillar to pupa? I am NOT prepared to check and see if they purge. My husband may have to help down the road!!
    Jo

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

They appear to be, by the green coloring, in the last instar, so they should pupate soon. I bet most of them pupate on the sticks that are supporting the mesh covering.
    Sherry

• scorpgirl24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sherry~
    Any idea why they tend to stay/feed close together? When do I remove the net? Are the chrysalis potential victims to predators also?
    Jo

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

"Well, I'm just a beginner"...lol. Don't belive a word Larry says ;)

Jo, Chrysalides are eaten by ants and parasitized by wasps. So, it is best to give them some protection.

-Elisabeth

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Jo, yes, the chrysalides are potential victims of predators. I'd leave the net on until the butterfly emerges and is ready to go, or, you can move the chrysalides to another safe spot for the butterfly to emerge.
    Sherry

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

LMHO! Jo, you just got advice from the Expert himself.

• scorpgirl24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fantastic!!
    Since I'm new here I don't know who knows what!!
    I feel honored!! Thanks to all for the help.
    Preparing for Irene here at the Jersey shore! It's a bit scary.
    I'm putting the cats in the greenhouse tomorrow. I'm getting a bit worried, they are devouring the fennel!! Might have to resort to some parsley from the grocery store, if they don't pupate soon! What will happen if the food supply dwindles when they are almost there? Will they starve (I don't intend for this to happen!) or will they pupate earlier? What triggers that event? Do they have to be a certain size or age? This is fascinating and I'm very curious about this process.
    Good thing they don't eat milk or bread. Not many of those items left at the store.
    To all in the hurricane's wake, be safe!
    Jo

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Looks to me like your cats have food enough to get to pupation stage. Hoping all goes well for you as you prepare for the storm.

• klflorida
    12 years ago

That is an amazing fennel plant; nice score. Cats too - double bonus.

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

If food starts run scarce, but they are close, I have found that mine will form their chrysallis and the butterfly will be a tad bit smaller. My fennel and dill became scarce towards the end of the last batch of BST I raised, but all butterflies eclosed just fine (just a little on the smallish side.)

~Laura

• butterflyman
    12 years ago

I actually use a more tight mesh than what you seem to have - many of the wasps are very tiny. On my fish tank where I raise some cats, I use a piece of cloth on top to make sure nothing bad gets in.

• ladobe
    12 years ago

No expert here Sandy. I can certainly make wrong assessments, especially with failing memory and eyes that are tired late at night or when the baby blues are still not up to speed early mornings... the two main times I usually visit the forum. I just have the advantage of having seen most of the Rhops and many speices from certain familes of Macros is this country (and other places) in the field or in other SC's over many years and can refer back to my notes on them in field and rearing journals and my SC.

• scorpgirl24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I hope they make it. I wondered about tiny wasps, as I have seen them patrolling my dill.
    It's kind of out of my hands now.I will not be able to address them until Monday!
    I will post some post-hurricane photos.
    Can anyone post any interesting info on the caterpillar to butterfly process? I have read many articles online, but I am more interested on personal observations/experiences of the members of this forum.
    Not too many monarchs here. I've seen a few, but I'm not sure of available host plants. I will most likely be dealing with swallowtails in the future; mostly tigers and black.
    Thanks all!
    Jo

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Jo,

I have a photo gallery of eggs to adults if you are interested. A lot of us raise caterpillars.

My favorite book on the process is the Life Cycle of Butterflies available through Amazon. You can't find a better source for information about host plants/nectar plants, how to ID eggs, caterpillars, chrysalides, and of course, the adults.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggs, larvae, and chrysalides

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm