Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryr_76

Promethea cat

terryr
12 years ago

Next stage? We found another one that had the leaf rolled, but was out of the leaf and up the stem of the branch about 3"? I thought it was too low, one of my dogs runs under the bush multiple times a day...small dog, just under 10 pounds. Anyway, this has been a blast to watch! There's 2 mostly that have always been around the same area. Bert and Ernie, Lucy and Ricky, Fred and Ethel...my list goes on...lol...! I made a video of this particular one where it appears to be "shaving" down the insides of the leaf...shaving is lack of the correct word on my part!

{{gwi:529457}}

Terry

Comments (12)

• Ament
    12 years ago

That is so neat! I love the picture Terry. :) I think I'm going to take my daughter down the road to the russian olives and see if I can find some monarch cats.

~Tina

• terryr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina, thank you! It is neat! It's been so fun to watch them go through their different instars and now to see this! I found the one that had left it's leaf...it found another leaf!

Here's what the one above looks like now

{{gwi:529458}}

and here's the other one, bursting out of his leaf

{{gwi:529460}}

• Ament
    12 years ago

I just love it! Thank you for sharing them. :) I haven't anything in my yard yet mature enough for the cats to want to come to me. I'm currently getting my yard in shape for it though. Next year will hopefully be a different story. So until then... I get to oogle everyone elses images and wish. LoL

~Tina

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

How interesting, Terry!
    As I recall, prometheas have more than one generation each year, so some of yours may emerge this year, but, more than likely, they'll not emerge until next spring.
    Prometheas are one of my favorite big moths - they may not be quite as big as the cecropias, but they're still plenty big, and their colors are gorgeous.
    I love those hanging cocoons! :)
    Sherry

• terryr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're welcome, Tina! I can't wait to see some photos from you next year! It'll happen, just wait! :)

Sherry, this has been a real experience! I've yet to go out when it's dark to see if I can see the moth in all it's glory. Surely they're here, since they've laid eggs 3 times that I've seen!

Here's an interesting note. The one that was bursting out of the cocoon? It appears to have abandoned the cocoon? Is that possible? I did notice yesterday that it didn't have the silk up to the main stem of the branch, like the other did. This morning, I couldn't find the one bursting out anywhere in the vicinity where it was. It was really easy to find, it was right there. Now it isn't. The leaf and all is gone. I know there's more than 2 cats out there, so I don't know if this is the bursting out one or what, however, I found this one this morning, just above the other. Or, maybe I overlooked the one that was bursting out and it's still there, I don't know. I searched and I searched to no avail...I'll look again in a couple hours! The one below, was busy this am making the attached silk from leaf to branch.

{{gwi:529462}}

• Ament
    12 years ago

Oh he's so chubby! :D

• tomatoworm59
    12 years ago

I love saturniids. They are not only our prettiest of moths, but have the prettiest larvae, too.

• terryr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina! Yeah, they got chubby! LOL My buttonbush is missing a lot of leaves!! ;-)

TomatoWorm...I'm sure partial to these guys! Our neighbors...lol....I'm always at that bush, talking into the bush, looking into the bush..what a sight I must be...lol..:D

• Ament
    12 years ago

LoL That's as bad as me griping at the weeds! Haha!

~Tina

• bev2009
    12 years ago

That is a beautiful cat! My son is outside a lot at night smoking and he sees big moths flying around all the time, but I've never seen any in the yard. I'll have to check out the host plants and see what I can do.

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Love your photos and your posts, Terry. Yesterday I saw a very tattered Promethea moth on my neighbors' brick by the front door. I need to do a search of my Buttonbush.

Sandy

• terryr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina, I do that too! Really, I talk to any and everything....lol..

Bev, go check! This is just too cool. I feel so honored to be able to watch them!

Sandy, you're too kind. Thank you :) Search that buttonbush...this is so fun I can hardly stand it!

I found this guy or gal yesterday...

{{gwi:529463}}

then I went out a little later, and I found him or her spinning a cocoon! That little devil! What fun to watch!

{{gwi:529464}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting