Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miss Sherry you were correct!! -pics

Posted by siam_cannas 13 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 18:06

Hi, Miss Sherry, the caterpillars i found at the garden centre were actually the ruby spotted swallowtail. I collected a few brough them home and raised them in a cage. The first one eclosed today. here are the pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Siam.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miss Sherry you were correct!! -pics

Lovely! I looked it up and the map I found-butterfliesandmoths.com- indicated it wasn't very widespread in the U.S. Is that correct?

o

It only occurs in extreme south Texas in the U.S., Bev, and only rarely and irregularly there.
It sure is beautiful, Siam! I wish we DID get them here!
Sherry

o

Never doubt Miss Sherry!
Very nice pics.

o

That is one gorgeous butterfly!

o

another eclosed today, and i still have about 15 cats eating away at orange leaves.

This was around 6am, i saw the butterfly in the cage, drying his/her wings, so i took it out into the garden and placed it on plant to finish drying.

Miss Sherry i forgot to tell you, i found the plant omphalea diandra!!!! I found it growing along a countryside road, the fruits were on it so i was sure, i took cuttings :)

Photobucket

Siam.

o

Siam that's a beautiful swallowtail.

o

Fantastic, Siam!
Maybe you could take some seed pods when they're ripe, and try growing it from seed, since cuttings don't always work.
I don't know what your living arrangements are, but if you've got a yard you could have some type of citrus, plus omphalea and whatever plants host your favorite butterflies.
That swallowtail is so pretty!
Sherry

o

Gorgeous! You are so lucky! Thanks for posting so we can see these lovelies!
Cheers,
Elisabeth

o

Hiii Karyn... thanks :)

Miss Sherry, yes i have a small yard/garden, and i have started collecting butterfly/ hummingbird nectar/ host plants.
Ive noticed the ruby spotted swallowtails that i released have been staying around because of the nectar sources especially the porterweed plants.
Siam.

o

That is such a beautiful butterfly! Aren't you the lucky one and the smart one since you had the foresight and good sense to rescue the cats. and what a nice reward for your efforts. Beautiful winged "flowers".
kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here