Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Extra Monarch eggs in Mass.

terrene
12 years ago

Hi guys, yesterday a somewhat tattered female Monarch with 3 wings came to the back garden and started laying tons of eggs on the Asclepias curassavica (tropical). Prior to yesterday, this particular milkweed had been pretty much ignored and I have found a dribble of eggs on some small A. incarnata (swamp) plants.

She laid eggs everywhere - on the top of leaves, bottom of leaves, 2 eggs on the same leaf and once even 3! I collected over 50 eggs yesterday, and she was out laying more eggs today. Yikes! Is this called egg dumping? This has not happened before to my notice.

My method of raising butterflies in a box limits me to about 30-40 Monarchs at this time. I would have to rig up a bigger enclosure to raise more than that. Also I would have to seek out additional food, probably from wild patches of A. syriaca (common) that I've scouted out in the area (some not really high-quality milkweed though).

Does anybody in Mass. want some eggs? I can mail them or someone could come by and get some. Any other suggestions? I would love to do something with them if possible.

PS To email me, please click on "My Page" and read instructions (GW email does NOT work at this time).

Comment (1)