Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Swallowtail!!!!

Posted by BERGER123 4b-5a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 18:20

I saw a giant swallowtail oddly. It went to the purple coneflower but never landed. It didn't find any if my host plant if it was a female. What is a really good nectar plant to attract it back?
Jacob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Swallowtail!!!!

Wow--they are really traveling north this year! The one that visited my yard loved zinnias and Swamp Milkweed.

o

I've had several pass through my garden this year here in Southern Wisconsin (Dane County). I went to my Mah Jongg group last Friday and counted seven-along with five Tiger Swallowtails! What a beautiful sight!!! I saw three more on the way there that day. There must be some Prickly Ash growing in that neighborhood (NW Middleton, Dane County). I know it's an invasive weed here, but I wouldn't mind having a moderate sized bush.

o

I had a Giant Swallowtail visit today. Have not seen one in years.

o

Hi
I didn't see it today but I'm not giving up hope. I wish I had found my rue cause it tested the purple cornflowers. After I post the message.
Jacob

o

They like citrus trees! I usually see one everyday floating through the citrus trees -but how do you ever get a picture? They are so huge and beautiful but either never stop or they hide in the citrus tree! They haven't discover the fennel, dill, parsley, or rue I have planted for them :(

o

Jacob,

we have had them in our Minnesota garden the past 5 years....no eggs yet though. We have prickly ash and rue for host plants.

For nectar flowers they like zinnias, tropical milkweed, lantana, and butterfly bush. I don't think I've seen them on our native plants before...

o

Mine have been visiting my Tithonia for nectar.

o

Giants don't eat parsley or dill, do they? I know they eat rue and citrus, but I don't know about anything else.

o

No, Giant Swallowtails don't eat parsley, fennel, or dill, but the Black Swallowtails do. Both the Giant Swallowtails and Black Swallowtails eat rue (Ruta graveolens). Giant Swallowtails also eat other plants besides rue like orange trees (and other citrus), Prickly Ash, Wafer Ash, and Gas Plant (Dictamnus).

Check out the Gardenweb FAQ page that lists butterflies and their host plants. The link is included in this post.

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Caterpillar Host Plants

o

amazing picture of the garden, do you throw bunch of seeds into one big garden or what? it seems like a mixture of all different kinds of flowers.. so pretty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here