Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berger123_gw

Giant Swallowtail!!!!

BERGER123
9 years ago

I saw a giant swallowtail oddly. It went to the purple coneflower but never landed. It didn't find any if my host plant if it was a female. What is a really good nectar plant to attract it back?
Jacob

Comments (10)

• bernergrrl
    9 years ago

Wow--they are really traveling north this year! The one that visited my yard loved zinnias and Swamp Milkweed.

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

I've had several pass through my garden this year here in Southern Wisconsin (Dane County). I went to my Mah Jongg group last Friday and counted seven-along with five Tiger Swallowtails! What a beautiful sight!!! I saw three more on the way there that day. There must be some Prickly Ash growing in that neighborhood (NW Middleton, Dane County). I know it's an invasive weed here, but I wouldn't mind having a moderate sized bush.

• pjbastianelli
    9 years ago

I had a Giant Swallowtail visit today. Have not seen one in years.

• BERGER123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    I didn't see it today but I'm not giving up hope. I wish I had found my rue cause it tested the purple cornflowers. After I post the message.
    Jacob

• Beth Willett
    9 years ago

They like citrus trees! I usually see one everyday floating through the citrus trees -but how do you ever get a picture? They are so huge and beautiful but either never stop or they hide in the citrus tree! They haven't discover the fennel, dill, parsley, or rue I have planted for them :(

• Tony G
    9 years ago

Jacob,

we have had them in our Minnesota garden the past 5 years....no eggs yet though. We have prickly ash and rue for host plants.

For nectar flowers they like zinnias, tropical milkweed, lantana, and butterfly bush. I don't think I've seen them on our native plants before...

• biologyteacher60
    9 years ago

Mine have been visiting my Tithonia for nectar.

• alex928 Z8/LA
    9 years ago

Giants don't eat parsley or dill, do they? I know they eat rue and citrus, but I don't know about anything else.

• caterwallin
    9 years ago

No, Giant Swallowtails don't eat parsley, fennel, or dill, but the Black Swallowtails do. Both the Giant Swallowtails and Black Swallowtails eat rue (Ruta graveolens). Giant Swallowtails also eat other plants besides rue like orange trees (and other citrus), Prickly Ash, Wafer Ash, and Gas Plant (Dictamnus).

Check out the Gardenweb FAQ page that lists butterflies and their host plants. The link is included in this post.

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Caterpillar Host Plants

• angelimperfect36
    9 years ago

amazing picture of the garden, do you throw bunch of seeds into one big garden or what? it seems like a mixture of all different kinds of flowers.. so pretty!