Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

Need plant suggestions

Liz
10 years ago

I have a spot under a window where I'd like to attract some butterflies. It gets sun 6 hours/day, and is moderately dry. I am looking for a butterfly-attracting annual that is deer resistant. We have a terrible deer problem. They have eaten cosmos, marigolds, and lantana before, and I think they like zinnias too. I don't want anything too tall. So far the only annuals I've been able to grow without protection are alyssum and snapdragons. I prefer natives, but honestly, I'm asking for a lot already so that is entirely optional. Any ideas? Herbs?
Liz

Comments (4)

• ericwi
    10 years ago

A tuberosa would do well in that location, but it is not an annual, it is a perennial. Butterflies like the orange blossoms, and this plant keeps on flowering right through the summer months. Since it is a milkweed, I suspect that deer would pick something else to nibble on. We have no deer in our yard, but we do have bunnies, and they leave the milkweed alone.

• bernergrrl
    10 years ago

We used to have deer come through our yard especially in the meadow area, and they would always chomp down my turtlehead!

I think some native plant nurseries will have ways for you to do a filter--you can check you want butterfly attractant but deer resistant along with sun/soil/moisture. Ah, found a list for being deer resistant--you might recognize something that will attract butterflies.

It's interesting how different regions are--I recongnize so few of the NJ's natives.

Here is a link that might be useful: List native plants deer resistant

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

There are some annual varieties of Monarda that would be perfect, which are also native. Look at Monarda Citriodora and Monarda Punctata. The punctata often comes back a second year, but I always replant to have a thick patch. The citriodora has a more traditionally beautiful flower, but is not as reliable in returning. I start both from saved seeds using the wintersowing method. I wouldn't have a butterfly garden without them. Their height varies depending on sunlight and water, but probably two feet max. They are very drought tolerant.

Verbena Boniarensis is not native, and is an aggressive reseeder if allowed to go to seed. But, it is deer resistant and is another absolute favorite of butterflies. The three I've mentioned would work well in separate groupings or mixed together in a sort of limited prairie/nectar waystation.

If you are interested in perennials, liatris "Gayfeather" would be a carefree addition. How tall can your spot handle? Liatris ligulastylis is even better as a nectar source, but it blooms quite late--just started in my yard, and can grow 5 feet or more. Have fun!

Martha

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Fennel is both deer resistant and a favorite food source of the Black Swallowtail.
    The flowers are a favorite nectar source for all kinds of beneficial insects.
    Tasty on fish and chicken, too:)