Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

My Favorite Butterfly

MissSherry
12 years ago

I've finished raising my second batch of pipevine swallowtail cats this year, and I've started raising a few more. I left a lot more cats outside to raise themselves from the second group than I brought in, and they're beginning to emerge outside. They haven't yet done so for the ones I raised on the porch. For whatever reason, maybe because the're in the shade all day, the porch-raised cats take a little longer to emerge.

There's nothing like a newly emerged male! This handsome dude has been all over the garden for the past several days, and a newly emerged female showed up today - I caught them flirting!

I made a few pictures of him nectaring on pentas. These pictures were taken with my cheapo camera - the new one hasn't gotten here yet -

{{gwi:529908}}

{{gwi:529909}}

{{gwi:529910}}

Sherry

Comments (11)

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Sherry,
    What is that beautiful plant he is on? Probably not hardy in zone 5, right?

Martha

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's pentas, definitely not hardy in Zone5, because it's not hardy here on the border between Zones 8 and 9. This is my first time to grow pink pentas, and the nursery where I ordered them said it was the most vigorous of the various colors of pentas they grow. I'm hoping that this vigor will mean more cold tolerance, but I doubt it, I'll see.
    Sherry

• tomatoworm59
    12 years ago

I hope your Pentas also draw in some tersa sphinx cats, too. Those are a real treat.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do too, TW. I haven't gotten any tersas in a long time, maybe before Katrina. They used to show up on every pentas plant, and I enjoyed raising some of them myself - so cute!
    Sherry

• klflorida
    12 years ago

Yep, those are some lovely pentas! The butterfly is a beauty also.

Isn't it funny how we get a tickle out of budding butterfly romance? I had to laugh at a male monarch that sat for well over an hour waiting for what must eventually come around the giant milkweed.

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

The only butterfly I can count on to see everyday is the Pipevine Swallowtail. I love them. They are all over my large perennial NOID (No ID) lantana.

sandy

• bandjzmom
    12 years ago

Simply stunning alright! I have not yet seen one in my yard this year. I do finally have a bit of host plant for them when they show. Are the cats very voracious eaters?

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, Angie, they eat a lot, but I don't think each individual caterpillar eats that much. It's just that there are so many of them!
    Sherry

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Always love your pictures Sherry. The Battus are magnificent, and your Pentas are beautiful.

With so many species/subspecies over so many years its kind of hard to pick a favorite. All of them seeked out, studied and reared were very enjoyable experiences. I guess since the Parnassiini where the first tribe I seriously studied to learn and discover the life histories of, they are probably still my favorites. Out of all of them I especially like the Parnassius autocrator complex from the Pamir Mountains in Afganistan and Tajikistan. For the North American species it's hard to beat the Parnassius eversmanni thor in Alaska.

{{gwi:529911}}

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful and exotic looking butterflies, Larry!
    I assume you were in Afghanistan when you studied them? I don't recall you mentioning having been in that country before. THAT must have been quite an experience!!
    For that matter, studying the Alaskan species was probably an experience, too.

Gulf frits are a strong second favorite for me. Both Battus philenor and Agraulis vanillae cover your garden with their beautiful iridescent turquoise and bright red/orange colorings when they're at their peak, like they are now. Seeing pipevines and passionvines covered with caterpillars is a great sight!
    Sherry

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Sherry,
    Nope, I never even came close to a chance to visit the home range of any of the Parnassius found in the USSR in person. But I did rear some of their livestock sent to me by a friend that was a lepidopterist for the Russian government. That was before the end of the Cold War too. Lepidopterists don't pay much mind to differences in politics IOW. ;)
    L.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor