Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New one for me this year

Posted by dr.liz 7 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 19:03

A buckeye. Sorry, I know it's not the best photo. I only had my phone camera. Spotted on the grass near the local butterfly garden at the park.

The park is less than 5 miles from my home. Any chance of me getting one of these in my own butterfly garden? (When I have one.)
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New one for me this year

You might, Liz, but I can't remember when I've ever seen them nectaring on flowers. Maybe they like rotting fruit? I quit putting it out, because all I ever got was flies!
Somebody should know.

Sherry

P.S. I looked through my picture list, and the only picture I've got of a buckeye on a flower is a mist flower -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mistflower/wild ageratum/Conoclinium coelistinum is a wildflower that grows everywhere around here. I pull it up all the time, don't think I really appreciate it, but I should, because butterflies all like it.

This post was edited by misssherry on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 19:21

o

It took me several years to see any buckeyes here. At first I only saw one but eventually they came in numbers and I had at least a dozen of them here. I haven't seen any this year though. When they are here, they love nectaring on the Verbena bonariensis.
Cathy

o

Wow! Even the chrysalides have spots!

Supposedly they like members of the snapdragon family as host plants. Has anyone had luck enticing them with these?

Liz

Here is a link that might be useful: Buckeye chrysalis

o

Check out this recent thread about buckeyes, Liz.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent Buckeye Thread

o

Congrats on the Buckeye Liz! I just love them, and I have not seen one at all yet this year. They do nectar on flowers here. I wouldn't see why you couldn't have a chance at one in your garden! Good luck!
Angie

o

Butter-and-Eggs, or Toadflax is supposed to work. Plantains are a host as well.
Buckeyes love sunny area where they can bask. They also like to "puddle" at damp sites in the garden. They seem to really like Ageratum as a nectar source.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here